Kernel Error 41 on new PC

Jared Linde

Hello everyone,

I built a new pc within the past week, and I'm running into a few issues. My first issue was that games were constantly crashing although I believe I solved this issue as it seemed to be an issue with wallpaper engine from steam. My other issue is that two times now I have received a BSOD with a Kernel Error 41 when playing video games, both times were fortnite. My pc specs are:

• Ryzen 3700x
  • EVGA XC3 RTX 3070
  • Gigabyte Aurus prop-p b550 mobo
  • Be quiet straight power 11 750w PSU
  • 32gb trident z rgb (4x8gb)
  • Windows 10 64 bit
  • 2 Crucial P1 1tb nvme m.2
  • Not sure of bios version as I have yet to check. I figure since the mobo is of a newer chipset that it would be relatively up to date

I have already attempted a reinstall of my graphics driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also when CPU arrived multiple pins had bent and I managed to bend them back with out breaking them but the fit was still a bit tight. It also looked that there may have been some solder on the pins as there was a silverish hue to some of the pins.

Did you get error 41 while playing a game and the PC just immidiately shut down? Thats usually a power issue. Could be a bad PSU but more likely that its just not enough watts. Power spikes with RTX 3000 seem to be very common and they often trigger a power protection mode on PSUs with not quite enough watts. If it keeps happening you could try removing any OC you may have put on your cpu or gpu but thats unlikely to help. Your already a healthy 200w above the 550w recommended for the rtx 3070. Weird.

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

Just now, cm992 said:

Did you get error 41 while playing a game and the PC just immidiately shut down? Thats usually a power issue. Could be a bad PSU but more likely that its just not enough watts. Power spikes with RTX 3000 seem to be very common and they often trigger a power protection mode on PSUs with not quite enough watts. If it keeps happening you could try removing any OC you may have put on your cpu or gpu but thats unlikely to help. Your already a healthy 200w above the 550w recommended for the rtx 3070. Weird.

occurred during game play. I'm very surprised that 750w is not enough. I also do not have any OC other than if there has been an OC from the manufacturer. I tried to downclock my GPU but when my other crashing stopped I put it back to normal.

7 minutes ago, Jared Linde said:

occurred during game play. I'm very surprised that 750w is not enough. I also do not have any OC other than if there has been an OC from the manufacturer. I tried to downclock my GPU but when my other crashing stopped I put it back to normal.

Thats unforunate. I think linus has talked about the RTX 3000 power spikes in a video before. I see probably ten posts similar to yours each day on these forums... You might have to go out and get an 850w to fix the issue. It sucks that Nvidia really boned a ton of people with the RTX 3000 power spikes. Its pretty much false advertizing with their recommended PSU wattages due to these spikes. Sorry bro

SPEC LIST:

Just now, cm992 said:

Thats unforunate. I think linus has talked about the RTX 3000 power spikes in a video before. I see probably ten posts similar to yours each day on these forums... You might have to go out and get an 850w to fix the issue. It sucks that Nvidia really boned a ton of people with the RTX 3000 power spikes. Its pretty much false advertizing with their recommended PSU wattages due to these spikes. Sorry bro

Ok. thats unfortunate but I guess I'll look into a new PSU. Do you think I should go higher than 850 to be extra safe?

12 minutes ago, Jared Linde said:

Ok. thats unfortunate but I guess I'll look into a new PSU. Do you think I should go higher than 850 to be extra safe?

Yea I guess so. Its too bad because your power supply is high quality and above the nvidia recommended for an rtx3070. Its possible that you have a bad extension cord or power block or even outlet/wiring in your house. Do you get the shutdown often? In what games?

SPEC LIST:

Just now, cm992 said:

Yea I guess so. Its too bad because your power supply is high quality and above the nvidia recommended for an rtx3070. Its possible that you have a bad extension cord or power block or even outlet/wiring in your house. Do you get the shutdown often? In what games?

Not all the time. the game crashes have stopped completely and the BSOD has only occurred 2 times. BSOD has occurred in fortnite both times. Valorant runs smoothly but thats more cpu intensive and if I run 3d marks fire strike I have no issues

2 hours ago, Jared Linde said:

Not all the time. the game crashes have stopped completely and the BSOD has only occurred 2 times. BSOD has occurred in fortnite both times. Valorant runs smoothly but thats more cpu intensive and if I run 3d marks fire strike I have no issues

OK you should be alright then. Maybe turn on vsync or turn on gsync with a frame cap to lower GPU use if it keeps happening

SPEC LIST:

Just now, cm992 said:

OK you should be alright then. Maybe turn on vsync or turn on gsync with a frame cap to lower GPU use if it keeps happening

ok sounds good thank you!