CPU overheating even after repasting

Michko

Hi, I posted here several months ago talking about CPU overheating

. I repasted it month ago when It was even worse, the cpu would hardly operate at its normal clock (2.8 GHz) and when there was bigger load it would usually sit at 2.6 - 2.1.I bought Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut as recommended by someone. When repasting I noticed, that there was almost no paste on the cpu itself to clean, only on the gpu there was a visible paste. So after repasting I did some benchmarks and tests and it was all running smoothly again, until again after 4 weeks from repasting it I am now at the same spot. Where do you think is the issue? Might it be the processor itself? I am thinking about sending it to Asus again but as I dont have warranty anymore it would be pretty expensive. I still have some paste left so I think I will try to repaste it again and record it to see if I made any mistakes.

bf4_vcPAaQCkg5.png

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

is the cooler actually sitting flush on the cpu?

Do you mean the cooler pad? 

3 minutes ago, Michko said:

Do you mean the cooler pad? 

whatever cooler is on it should be mostly a singular piece so either the cooler or waterblock is what would need to be sitting flush on it.

9 minutes ago, emosun said:

whatever cooler is on it should be mostly a singular piece so either the cooler or waterblock is what would need to be sitting flush on it.

I dont really understand, the heatsink sits on top of it with like 10 screws so I dont think it can be uncentered if this is what you mean.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I have a notebook, it is in the original post but sorry.

a.png

ah ok your op post doesn't state it as being a laptop. In which case high temps are to be expected. Laptops are made to be portable computers doing portable tasks and as such will run overly hot doing tasks they aren;t designed for. In your case , moving enough air to cool the cpu indefinitely regardless of load is something the majority of laptops cannot do.

reduce the cpu load and it will run cooler.

Laptops do what laptops do, overheat. Your model being a gaming one it is somewhat normal. Also asus is not all that great when it comes thermal design with laptops. Dave2D gave a brand new Asus laptop a pretty bad mark because it was overheating from factory.

So yea... Asus is not all that great when it comes to laptop thermals

Just now, Albert F said:

Laptops do what laptops do, overheat. Your model being a gaming one it is somewhat normal. Also asus is not all that great when it comes thermal design with laptops. Dave2D gave a brand new Asus laptop a pretty bad mark because it was overheating from factory.

So yea... Asus is not all that great when it comes to laptop thermals

Yeah I was searching for my exact notebook and lot of people had the same problems, I am starting to think its not really fixable. Sadly when I bought it 3 years ago it was new model and there were not really any reviews. But still I remember it being able to run boost clocks but now it cant even stay at the stable base clock 2.8 ghz which is to be excpected

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

ah ok your op post doesn't state it as being a laptop. In which case high temps are to be expected. Laptops are made to be portable computers doing portable tasks and as such will run overly hot doing tasks they aren;t designed for. In your case , moving enough air to cool the cpu indefinitely regardless of load is something the majority of laptops cannot do.

reduce the cpu load and it will run cooler.

I know its supposed to run hot, but for the first year it never throttled, it was running hot but never really overheated, now it does and its getting worse.

4 hours ago, Michko said:

Yeah I was searching for my exact notebook and lot of people had the same problems, I am starting to think its not really fixable. Sadly when I bought it 3 years ago it was new model and there were not really any reviews. But still I remember it being able to run boost clocks but now it cant even stay at the stable base clock 2.8 ghz which is to be excpected

I am having the same issue with my laptop (also an Asus). The CPU gets hotter and hotter but not unbarebale. When it was brand new it was sitting around 65 and now it's hitting 75-80 (while the GPU under full pressure is comfortably at 65). From what I was told is the CPU and the cooling system that gets older and gets less efficient. But let's face it, Asus was never really a great laptop manufacturer in the first place.

Did you make sure to clean all dust out of the radiator vents when you had the cooling unit removed?

I know it's a dumb question, but sometimes the basics get overlooked...

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15