Strange temps on Ryzen 5 3600 and H100i rgb platinum.

Jiddan

I am a bit confused with the temps I am getting with my system as of my recent purchase of the corsair h100i rgb platinum. My cpu will idle around 33-36 degrees, which is fine, but it constantly spikes to around 50 degrees and has reached 60 on occasions and then falls back down all while sitting idle. Also when I run cinebench r20 my cpu reaches 72 degrees after running like 3-4 times through which is also fine, although what is strange is that when I play games such as COD black ops cold war and borderlands 3 my cpu will sit at like 65 degrees but just like in idle it will spike and reaches up to 76 degrees which is higher than what it gets on cinebench when all cores are pegged at 100% which doesn't make much sense to me as I know these games aren't working the cpu as hard as that. Also something else I find strange is my previous cpu which was a r7 2700 would run much cooler at idle, sitting at around 29-32 degrees idle and never got above 60 degrees whe playing those same games. This was whilst using a hyper 212 black edition. I know that 3000 series cpus may run hotter but the r7 2700 is an 8 core cpu and I didn't think the discrepancy would be so much. My temps on my r5 3600 just seem a bit off considering I have a great airflow case in the lian li lancool 2 mesh and a good aio in the h100i. Would anyone be able to explain if I am just stupid and this is normal or if there seems to be something wrong.

My pc spec are

cpu: r5 3600

cooler: corair h100i rgb platinum

gpu: rtx 3070 gigabyte gaming oc

mobo: msi b450 tomahawk max

ram: corsair vengeance rgb 3600mhz cl18

psu: cooler master master watt 650w 80+ bronze

case: lian li lancool 2 mesh

The CPU going up could be from background processes that could be making it spikes a little more.

I dont know exactly if this is a cause, (and dont know if it truly is faster) but I think the 3600 is faster than the 2700 other than in multicore processes since the extra cores

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

9 minutes ago, SlashedM said:

The CPU going up could be from background processes that could be making it spikes a little more.

I dont know exactly if this is a cause, (and dont know if it truly is faster) but I think the 3600 is faster than the 2700 other than in multicore processes since the extra cores

Yeah that what I assumed the spikes to come from just found it weird that I didn't experience these spikes on idle with the r7 2700.

1) 3rd gen is more aggressive with single-core turbo, so in games, a single or a few cores will boost higher, with more voltage, which can spike temps

2) if you're gaming, your GPU is adding to the heat in the case, so CPU temps will go up vs a CPU-only test

3) #2 is especially true if your CPU radiator is set as exhaust, meaning it is using air warmed by the GPU to cool the radiator fins

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

3 hours ago, tarfeef101 said:

1) 3rd gen is more aggressive with single-core turbo, so in games, a single or a few cores will boost higher, with more voltage, which can spike temps

2) if you're gaming, your GPU is adding to the heat in the case, so CPU temps will go up vs a CPU-only test

3) #2 is especially true if your CPU radiator is set as exhaust, meaning it is using air warmed by the GPU to cool the radiator fins

Ok makes sense, thanks for that. Do you think the idle temps spiking like they are is normal though aswell?

15 minutes ago, Jiddan said:

Ok makes sense, thanks for that. Do you think the idle temps spiking like they are is normal though aswell?

depends on what "idle" really means. windows has lots of background processes, which is compounded the more apps you install. they often have single-thread processes that run every so often, and if they do, that means one core could spike to 100%, sucking down the max voltage, and potentially raising temps that high. it could happen. it's a bit unlikely, i'd say, but not outside the realm of possibility. 
since nothing is even above 80 degrees ever, though, i wouldn't sweat it. no risk of dmg here, and no throttling, so no need to worry

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

34 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

depends on what "idle" really means. windows has lots of background processes, which is compounded the more apps you install. they often have single-thread processes that run every so often, and if they do, that means one core could spike to 100%, sucking down the max voltage, and potentially raising temps that high. it could happen. it's a bit unlikely, i'd say, but not outside the realm of possibility. 
since nothing is even above 80 degrees ever, though, i wouldn't sweat it. no risk of dmg here, and no throttling, so no need to worry

Ok thanks much appreciated.