Failed Win10 upgrade - do i need to reinstall?

Charles_2007

I grabbed from work an old Thinkpad T420 computer with win7pro activated,  It doesn't have the COA certificate on it

I removed the mechanical hard disk and started a clean install with Win10 on a blank SSD

I was hoping that the activation would carry over on Microsoft site but it did not work

Before I go to extreme measures, is there any way to extract the activation key from the old hdd?

If I put back the old mechanical HDD,  will the upgrade to windows10 need the COA? 

Put the old HDD back in, fire it up and use one of the hundreds of free Key Extractors available to recover the 7 key. Swap the new drive back in and assuming you installed an equivalent version (7 home to 10 home or 7 pro to 10 pro) Windows 10 should happily activate using your old key.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

9 minutes ago, Charles_2007 said:

I grabbed from work an old Thinkpad T420 computer with win7pro activated,  It doesn't have the COA certificate on it

I removed the mechanical hard disk and started a clean install with Win10 on a blank SSD

I was hoping that the activation would carry over on Microsoft site but it did not work

Before I go to extreme measures, is there any way to extract the activation key from the old hdd?

If I put back the old mechanical HDD,  will the upgrade to windows10 need the COA? 

Yes, you can extract the key with a program called produkey

The win10 install *may* accept the Win7 key, depending on what type of key it was (OEM, retail, etc)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

• 2 months later...

I tried Produkey and et was deleted by the antivirus software 😞

I disabled the antivirus and installed it again; it successfully located a windows 7 pro product key from the Windows registry hive files from the old drive with a sata to usb3 dongle

Microsoft did not accept that cd key.  After looking around, I found the original windows7 pro  product key inside the battery compartment,  after using it.  it successfully activated my win10 pro installation on this laptop.

Funny thing,  I built this old laptop as a spare computer for the office and after about 2 hours somebody came to my office begging for a spare computer and the computed was sent to an external job the next day.