I need help with Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVME 1TB

Fadi Obaji

So i installed this NVME SSD on the top M.2 slot which is right below the CPU(5950x) and right above the GPU(3090) and i installed Samsung Magician to test it and i have those results:

Capture.thumb.PNG.c778a1ef84ee4be38eddbbdc1458637e.PNG

First of all, the temps are too high! (this is the idle temp by the way!). and second, are the read/write IOPS suppose to be this low? isn't this suppose to hit one million? 

Should i install it in the bottom slot? or those values are actually valid?

Thanks!

Just now, Not Wills said:

1. did it just do the benchmark

2. is it under a mb heatsink or something.

this can explain the heat.

Yes it's under the motherboard's heatsink with a thermal pad. My motherboard is Asus Dark Hero. Is this normal?

I have the same exact NVME and my board an Gigabyte Aorus X570-I came with a heatsink and pad which I installed.  Depending on the room temperature mine idles anywhere between 49c and 51c.  When I am gaming basically where the rest of the board is producing heat I notice it can go as high as 59c.  In benchmarks I saw it get as high as 69c.  I too have been worried about it but I have seen no stability issues now for nearly a week I am starting to think this is just normal because of it being PCI Gen 4 and generally faster.

I will note if you run a benchmark it takes awfully long for this NVME to cool down sometimes like 15 mins.

What bugs me the most is reviews keep reporting idle temps at like 42c which I only see that temp when I first turn it on and it gradually levels out to about 49c to 51c like I said.  My only conclusion is reviews are using it as a secondary drive so that’s like a true idle if that makes any sense?

I think your probably like me and fine and stable but it honestly bugs me like a lot lol.  It says operating temps go up to 70c from Samsung but the controller actually throttles at 85c so you should probably be fine.

Bottom line it seems like this NVME runs hot and that’s the way it is unfortunately.

8 hours ago, silentq15 said:

I have the same exact NVME and my board an Gigabyte Aorus X570-I came with a heatsink and pad which I installed.  Depending on the room temperature mine idles anywhere between 49c and 51c.  When I am gaming basically where the rest of the board is producing heat I notice it can go as high as 59c.  In benchmarks I saw it get as high as 69c.  I too have been worried about it but I have seen no stability issues now for nearly a week I am starting to think this is just normal because of it being PCI Gen 4 and generally faster.

I will note if you run a benchmark it takes awfully long for this NVME to cool down sometimes like 15 mins.

What bugs me the most is reviews keep reporting idle temps at like 42c which I only see that temp when I first turn it on and it gradually levels out to about 49c to 51c like I said.  My only conclusion is reviews are using it as a secondary drive so that’s like a true idle if that makes any sense?

I think your probably like me and fine and stable but it honestly bugs me like a lot lol.  It says operating temps go up to 70c from Samsung but the controller actually throttles at 85c so you should probably be fine.

Bottom line it seems like this NVME runs hot and that’s the way it is unfortunately.

What slot did you install it on?

I installed mine in the first M.2 slot (between the CPU and GPU), maybe if i install it at the bottom slot it would be cooler. But i hear that the first M.2 slot is better because the SSD will share CPU lanes.

I have mine installed on the top slot as well.  Since this is a Mini ITX build and my case orientation has the board laying flat with the power supply below I believe there would be even less airflow as the M2 drive would essentially be sandwiched between power supply and the board.  I am curious what putting it on the back with a Motherboard screwed on the side style orientation would do to the temps so if you can maybe its worth a try to see but I have also read it can effect performance due to the lanes so it kind of defeats the purpose.  The other idea I could offer and I might try is using another NVME or even a SATA SSD as your Windows Drive and saving your games or working with your files that need the speed on the NVME as a secondary.  I say this because I notice my secondary drives run much much cooler without Windows constantly and automatically doing little reads/writes which seems to be the cause of the sustained temps being high.  I may or may not test this theory or maybe somebody in this forum knows if that makes any sort of difference?  Regardless the temps don't seem to cause throttling or anything and honestly I was running a more intense game last night and saw the temps average at 52c after playing for like 3 hours and when I was done cooling to 49c again so nothing too crazy its just very weird it doesn't cool down further and part of me wonders if thats how it is or its because no Drivers were implemented by Samsung.

Just a note here I went back and double checked if the Thermal Pad should be installed WITH the heatsink on top.  According to the instructions from Gigabyte's own documentation their heatsink is designed to NOT have the thermal pad on between the SSD and the heatsink.  The instructions specifically say the thermal pad is for use only when the SSD is on the back of the motherboard which it is not in my case.  I removed the thermal pad, did benchmarks etc.  In all honesty its like a 1-2c cooler difference nothing major(however it cools down much much faster than it did before) but it might just be enough to be below the arbitrary line Samsung has in there software more consistently.  I would recommend checking your instructions on the board once more to see if your heatsink is designed in this manner as I am seeing slightly better results.