Low GPU Usage - RTX 3070

Anarchy5023

Recently managed to snag an RTX 3070 to replace my old GTX 1070. Also bought new ram to fix my CPU bottleneck, Vengeance Pro 16GB @ 3600mhz. My CPU is still a little old, an i7 7700k OC to 4.6 Ghz atm. My issue here is simple, and I've seen it everywhere and tried nearly everything from setting performance settings to reinstalling drivers. The problem appears to be a CPU bottleneck for me, my CPU just cannot keep up with my 3070 according to some people on reddit, so I want to switch it up and ask for some advice here. **Performance on my GTX 1070 was the same with my 3070, if not better.

I'm looking to pick up a Ryzen 5 5600x to replace my i7 in the upcoming months, whenever they come in stock. It looks like a great CPU and exactly what I need to push as much performance out of my GPU as possible. The main reason I'm trying to pick up a new processor is because I am experiencing low FPS on games like Cold War and GTA V (terrible, can't even get 40 fps in online). On Cold War, I am forced to bring my settings down quite low and turn off RTX, which kind of sucks because I would think a 3070 would be able to perform at at least 60 fps with some RT settings enabled. As I turn my settings up to increase my GPU usage, my FPS does not change but my usage goes way up. CPU stays the same, and the cores are all equally being utilized according to task manager and HW monitor. This is the exact same issue on GTA V. I'm planning for a windows re-install once I pick up my new CPU.

Other games I've ran tests on:

- PC and Car Mechanic Simulator, 97% GPU usage, can run on max settings no problem.

- Escape from Tarkov, 50% GPU usage, can run High settings 1440p 144hz @100fps, lower in places that use more resources like interchange, woods and shoreline where there are tons of shadows and grass, etc.

My 3DMark benchmark score:

22 446

Tl;dr, will a 5600x fix my issue here and get me the results that I see on YT for my GPU on these games? Or is there something else I'm missing? Not looking to blow $700-800 on a 10th gen i9, and I hear Ryzen is the way to go nowadays. Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, Anarchy5023 said:

Recently managed to snag an RTX 3070 to replace my old GTX 1070. Also bought new ram to fix my CPU bottleneck, Vengeance Pro 16GB @ 3600mhz. My CPU is still a little old, an i7 7700k OC to 4.6 Ghz atm. My issue here is simple, and I've seen it everywhere and tried nearly everything from setting performance settings to reinstalling drivers. The problem appears to be a CPU bottleneck for me, my CPU just cannot keep up with my 3070 according to some people on reddit, so I want to switch it up and ask for some advice here. **Performance on my GTX 1070 was the same with my 3070, if not better.

I'm looking to pick up a Ryzen 5 5600x to replace my i7 in the upcoming months, whenever they come in stock. It looks like a great CPU and exactly what I need to push as much performance out of my GPU as possible. The main reason I'm trying to pick up a new processor is because I am experiencing low FPS on games like Cold War and GTA V (terrible, can't even get 40 fps in online). On Cold War, I am forced to bring my settings down quite low and turn off RTX, which kind of sucks because I would think a 3070 would be able to perform at at least 60 fps with some RT settings enabled. As I turn my settings up to increase my GPU usage, my FPS does not change but my usage goes way up. CPU stays the same, and the cores are all equally being utilized according to task manager and HW monitor. This is the exact same issue on GTA V. I'm planning for a windows re-install once I pick up my new CPU.

Other games I've ran tests on:

- PC and Car Mechanic Simulator, 97% GPU usage, can run on max settings no problem.

- Escape from Tarkov, 50% GPU usage, can run High settings 1440p 144hz @100fps, lower in places that use more resources like interchange, woods and shoreline where there are tons of shadows and grass, etc.

My 3DMark benchmark score:

22 446

Tl;dr, will a 5600x fix my issue here and get me the results that I see on YT for my GPU on these games? Or is there something else I'm missing? Not looking to blow $700-800 on a 10th gen i9, and I hear Ryzen is the way to go nowadays. Thank you in advance.

i think you should 3rd gen ryzen 7 

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $319.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $179.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $499.98
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-15 01:39 EST-0500  

11 hours ago, myb54 said:

i think you should 3rd gen ryzen 7 

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $319.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $179.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $499.98
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-15 01:39 EST-0500  

Any particular reason why?

9 hours ago, Anarchy5023 said:

Any particular reason why?

You Are Playing only Games, So Go for AMD 5600x. It will give you more FPS. But if you want 2 extra cores for nothing then go for 3700x, But IMO Go for 5600x for gaming

• 5 weeks later...

Hey did you ever get a ryzen 5600x and if you did it fix the problem? I also have a 3070 with low FPS on gta5 and warzone and very low gpu usage.