RAM usage

Go to solution Solved by Phas3L0ck,

Aaaahhhhhh this one's difficult to explain... I've had this same problem before.

First, make sure Page-File in enabled, but only give it 1GB (1024MB) of HDD space.

Second, see if any RAM is being dedicated to your GPU or integrated graphics. Older systems typically do that by default, but poorly configured operating systems can make it even worse. If any RAM is dedicated as graphics memory, reduce the amount it uses.

Oke so i have 16GB DDR3 now 1333mhz (shush dont give me upgrade options i know that i should upgrade but im broke so shush)

It's installed dual channel 2x8 on an ms-7728 ver 2 motherboard with an i7-2600

But for some reason when it reaches 60% usage it starts going to virtual memory and if theres no virtual memory available and i try to open a chrome tab it says no memory available,

and whhen i open task manager it just says "close some programs to free up memory" while its at 50% usage....

i dont have any screenshots right now and if you want me to run Command lines then you'll have to send me the commands

Aaaahhhhhh this one's difficult to explain... I've had this same problem before.

First, make sure Page-File in enabled, but only give it 1GB (1024MB) of HDD space.

Second, see if any RAM is being dedicated to your GPU or integrated graphics. Older systems typically do that by default, but poorly configured operating systems can make it even worse. If any RAM is dedicated as graphics memory, reduce the amount it uses.

open resource monitor, select memory on top and chceck hardware reserved. if there is like 6GB hardware reserved, thats why. Or settings>System>about>installed ram and if there is like 10GB usage, there is something allocating or blocking memoryimage.png.beb5d85df980eb732da3bc30a349e396.pngimage.thumb.png.dc462118bd2a9e8f69cbdcdd7e73835a.png

On 1/13/2021 at 10:45 AM, CreepySK said:

open resource monitor, select memory on top and chceck hardware reserved. if there is like 6GB hardware reserved, thats why. Or settings>System>about>installed ram and if there is like 10GB usage, there is something allocating or blocking memoryimage.png.beb5d85df980eb732da3bc30a349e396.pngimage.thumb.png.dc462118bd2a9e8f69cbdcdd7e73835a.png

ill send u some screenshots because i installed everything myself and the bios also says 16384 megs of memory   

image.png

image.png

image.png

4 hours ago, Nik schaad said:

ill send u some screenshots because i installed everything myself and the bios also says 16384 megs of memory   

image.png

image.png

image.png

idk. Cpu supports up to 32GB, so it has to be software problem. Try running windows memory diagnostics image.png.4ae3ae1ff9e2a70d5a748a91e1eff745.png 

image.png.1db07779f857eae10610712d651ba2e9.pngimage.png.8a8a9554be0ec3d8caaeb9d3afea8286.png

there is probably just something wrong with windows

On 1/14/2021 at 5:05 PM, CreepySK said:

idk. Cpu supports up to 32GB, so it has to be software problem. Try running windows memory diagnostics image.png.4ae3ae1ff9e2a70d5a748a91e1eff745.png 

image.png.1db07779f857eae10610712d651ba2e9.pngimage.png.8a8a9554be0ec3d8caaeb9d3afea8286.png

there is probably just something wrong with windows

Nah its a clean install from like 2 weeks ago

2 hours ago, Nik schaad said:

Nah its a clean install from like 2 weeks ago

your standby memory isn't clearing, you only have ~800mb free...  this is a windows issue. 

this should fix it 

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1256

Otherwise reinstall windows and hope it doesn't happen anymore but it's likely it depends on your hw configuration and can't be fixed in a more regular way. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 1/14/2021 at 12:14 PM, Nik schaad said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Wait. You have 16gb usable. 11GB is just free rn 😄

• 2 months later...
On 1/13/2021 at 10:39 AM, Phas3L0ck said:

how do i change the ram thats allocated as graphics memory

1 minute ago, Phas3L0ck said:

Shared VRAM can often be changed in the BIOS, but it depends on the system and how the firmware was written.

I dont have an iGPU nor any graphic settings in the bios (American megatrends)

There should be an option either way, so keep looking.

But if there really isn't one, this could be a software issue.  You seem to have plenty of free RAM space, but it looks like Windows isn't making use of it for some reason.

I see the same thing every day on my Win-7 systems, and they all work fine and make use of standby RAM when it's needed.

Also check the configuration of your drivers in your graphics control panel, (it differs for AMD and nVidia) sometimes there's a setting there.

Try running Windows Update and grab the latest fixes for Win10, as we all know there are too many things that need to be fixed.

10 hours ago, Phas3L0ck said:

There should be an option either way, so keep looking.

But if there really isn't one, this could be a software issue.  You seem to have plenty of free RAM space, but it looks like Windows isn't making use of it for some reason.

I see the same thing every day on my Win-7 systems, and they all work fine and make use of standby RAM when it's needed.

Also check the configuration of your drivers in your graphics control panel, (it differs for AMD and nVidia) sometimes there's a setting there.

Try running Windows Update and grab the latest fixes for Win10, as we all know there are too many things that need to be fixed.

None of that worked