Paying $5 to someone who can solve this issue; "USB Device Not Recognized" on EXternal HDD

Zikama

So I'm trying ti include a s much info as possible, in order to make it easier for someone to help me with this.

I have this External Lacie 1TB HDD, which doesn't seem to work at all. Whenever I connect it to any PC, it get this little pop.up saying; "USB Device Not Recognized". When I click on it It'll list  atable of USB ports and one of them are marked in bold and says "Unknwon Device"

I cannot get in contatc with the external drive at any point. It will not appear within my computer or in Device management or disk management. It's basicly not listed anywhere or recognized as a storage device at all, just a usb device with errors.

I am not either able to format within my computer, or CMD, since it's Not Recognized at all.

The Disk is fairly new (around 4 Months old) and have worked flawless before. The disks inside are spinning clearly, but the LED indicator isnt flashing.

I've tried to connect it to variious PC's (desktops and laptops) with both USB 2.0 and 3.0 Ports, nothing worked. I get the same message/pop-up every single time -.-

WIthin the device manager I get an "error code 43" - WIndows have stopped the device, because the device have reported errors to windows.

If you believe you can help me with this, I'd be very glad, and if you manage to resolve it for me, I'll send you $5.

I cna use Skype screenshare or Teamviewer if you need to remote my PC.

Thank you very much, please help =(

Pictures:
7BedX.png7Beft.png

goto the manufactures website and see if any drivers for your model.

also try gonig to DM and deleting any installed drivers for it unplug it, restart, plug it back in and see if windows automatically installs drivers like it should.

can you scan it? maybe a virus?

other than that im still coming up with ideas...

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

Have you tried looking for drivers for the device on the manufacturers website?

Also does it show up in disk management?

Be prepared for the worst, it could be that the drive is just dead.

I7 3770K | GTX 770 amp! | 12gb DDR3 @1600mhz | 250gb OCZ Vertex 450 & 2TB WD Black 

Maybe a dead drive? Do you at least unplug it when it is safely removed before this occurred? If you don't 'safely remove' it from the computer it will damage it faster I think.

Have you tried using a new cable?

Yes, tried 2 differnt cables, and I've tested both on another External HDD, which was wotking without any issues.

Try this

1. Right click the unkown than Uninstall drivers.

2. Shutdown the pc for 5 mins(take the power plus out and than press the power button to drain any power left in the system)

3. After 5 mins start the system and see the results.

Fx-8320 Clocked@ 4.5Ghz, 2 * 4GB Corsair Vengeance Blue, 2 * Gigabyte rev1.0 R9 280x's, 2TB Seagate Drive, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 rev4.0 mobo, Fractal design Define R4 with SP120 High Performance Edition In the Side Panel, Corsair AX 860i, Corsair K60 Reds, Razor DeathAdder.

Have you tried looking for drivers for the device on the manufacturers website?

Also does it show up in disk management?

Be prepared for the worst, it could be that the drive is just dead.

It doesn't show up. As it's not being reconized as a sotrage unit.

I try to examin the device and click on search for driver, and it scans via WIndows update, and ends up determin that it's either up-to date, or doesnt requirre any drivers.

Try this

1. Right click the unkown than Uninstall drivers.

2. Shutdown the pc for 5 mins(take the power plus out and than press the power button to drain any power left in the system)

3. After 5 mins start the system and see the results.

Ok will try :o

How old is the drive? I warrenty void? if yes, then open up the case and see if the connector is propelly installed on the HDD. I had this same issue on my own IOMEGA one and i fixed it with that. Hope it will work. You can also try take other external HDD's connector and plug that in on the HDD, might be also an issue on the chipset wich runs the HDD Also try to see if Windows detects on disk manager

take the external drive out of its enclosure and attach it to the PC using sata cables. If it still doesn't work then it is dead, and if it does work then you need a new enclosure. 

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB WD Blue 2x Gigabit NIC Antec 300 OCZ 500w PSU Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 R1.1

If everything else fails, you can try to open the enclousure and install the drive with a SATA cable. This will rule out the SATA to USB adapter in the enclosure. I will only advice this as a last resort, since it most likely will void your warranty. 

You could also RMA it.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Happened to me twice. It's a dead drive, you may be able to get it to work maybe once in a blue moon by reconnecting it repeatedly but other than that sorry mate.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

It may be because windows was unable to allocate a drive letter to it.. you can do so manually using "Diskpart"..

open cmd -> type in "Diskpart"

wirte "list disk" -> look out for your external HDD

do "select disk [external's number]"

then "assign"

woosh done!

screenshots:

7Bg75.png

7Bg8S.png

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

lol, seems like a lot of people want 5$ :D, anyway

1. Try changing the cable

2. Try to put the HDD inside the computer(take it out from the case)

3. The HDD case(the SATA to USB converter) is dead

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

For my part, I don't what the money.. I'm here to help and get someone to help me.. thats how it works.

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

Thanks, Already tried that, and sadly I'm unable to scew it out of its housing.

Can you give me a link to your enclosure or a pic? Maybe we can figure something out...

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Then break it! Pry it apart. It will come apart if you man up and not afraid to break the housing.

Just be careful with it as it will have a small PCB inside that connects the cables to the sata ports on the drive.

Then break it! Pry it apart. It will come apart if you man up and not afraid to break the housing.

Just be careful with it as it will have a small PCB inside that connects the cables to the sata ports on the drive.

Pry it apart, you must be really stupid man. You do realize HDD's can break just with moderate shocks etc. Also the fact it's a hard alu casing, which is impossibly to break into without ruining the entire HDD itself lol...

Can you give me a link to your enclosure or a pic? Maybe we can figure something out...

Bacily this one.

lacie-rikiki-whole.jpg

Pry it apart, you must be really stupid man. You do realize HDD's can break just with moderate shocks etc. Also the fact it's a hard alu casing, which is impossibly to break into without ruining the entire HDD itself lol...

Done it several times. Infact one of the drives has been in my server for just over a year. 

I said be careful with the sata ports and pry open the case. It will come apart as they had to put the drive in there to begin with.

But if you would rather call someone names that is trying to help you then you have fun with it.

Bacily this one.

lacie-rikiki-whole.jpg

Hmm, cant you slide it out and whats that little hole, next to the connector? I believe you can open it somehow....

It may be because windows was unable to allocate a drive letter to it.. you can do so manually using "Diskpart"..

open cmd -> type in "Diskpart"

wirte "list disk" -> look out for your external HDD

do "select disk [external's number]"

then "assign"

woosh done!

screenshots:

7Bg75.png

7Bg8S.png

Tried, but it isn't listed. My external have a volume of 1TB.

7BgO0.png

Tried, but it isn't listed. My external have a volume of 1TB.

7BgO0.png

Then RMA it or pry it apart..