Using new BIOS with old CPU

Crave
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
Just now, Crave said:

There were reports about bugs and malfunctions when 3000 series were considered new thing. I'm wondering if after 5000 series, it's safe to update it.

On the other hand, I agree with you on the rule "It it isn't broken, don't fix it".

It's safe to update but you lose support for your cpu's the further you go as the bios size is too small so to get support for newer ones they remove older ones. So leave it be until you actually move to a new cpu then triplecheck the bios you need and update to that.

Hello everybody,

I have MSI B450i ITX motherboard, Ryzen 7 1700X, MSI RX 580 Armor MK2 and G.Skill Ripjaws 3200 MHz 14 CAS. I read on some old posts that 3000 series BIOS updates make the 1000-2000 series buggy. Currently, I use 7A40vA4 version of BIOS (before the 3000 series BIOS update), and I'm curious if by updating BIOS to the current one will ruin the compatibility between 1700X and motherboard?

Unfortunately, this motherboard doesn't have any kind of BIOS backup to downgrade the BIOS.

Don't update if there are reports about it. There is no need to update the bios if your board works well.

Just now, jaslion said:

Don't update if there are reports about it. There is no need to update the bios if your board works well.

There were reports about bugs and malfunctions when 3000 series were considered new thing. I'm wondering if after 5000 series, it's safe to update it.

On the other hand, I agree with you on the rule "It it isn't broken, don't fix it".

Just now, Crave said:

It's safe to update but you lose support for your cpu's the further you go as the bios size is too small so to get support for newer ones they remove older ones. So leave it be until you actually move to a new cpu then triplecheck the bios you need and update to that.

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I see. Thank you for the answer.

Strange thing though. AM4 is supposed to support all Ryzen series, so why would they drop some of them from time to time?

2 minutes ago, Crave said:

I see. Thank you for the answer.

Strange thing though. AM4 is supposed to support all Ryzen series, so why would they drop some of them from time to time?

Because they can't support all. Physically it supports all but the bios has to know what to do and simply put there is too little room in the bios for all. That and certain chipsets "don't" support certain ryzen cpu's. They actually do support all of em but it's up to the motherboard maker to allow them all and well they aren't going to put in effort for cpu's that aren't being made anymore

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Because they can't support all. Physically it supports all but the bios has to know what to do and simply put there is too little room in the bios for all. That and certain chipsets "don't" support certain ryzen cpu's. They actually do support all of em but it's up to the motherboard maker to allow them all and well they aren't going to put in effort for cpu's that aren't being made anymore

Thank you for the information.