Is it fine to have cpu cooler mounted without the brackets?

I have just installed my new cpu ryzen 5 3600 and I mounted it directly onto the holes on the board. I am an idiot and didn't use the brackets for my old cpu ryzen 3 2200g and just realized after mounting my new cpu I still have the brackets but they use the same cooler and I never had problems with it. Should I take it out and install it with the mounting brackets or will it be fine? 

Yes, You need mounting pressure. Take it apart and install the brackets.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yes, You need mounting pressure. Take it apart and install the brackets.

Would I need to put new thermal paste? or do I just use the same one I have some extra paste I probably won't remount it until tommorow

Yeah, put new paste on it. Every time you pull the cooler off. Don't pull the cooler straight up either. twist it first especially after a heat sink has been mounted for a while.

Stealth is ok. If you can get your hands on a Wraith Prism, it'll be an excellent cooler with RGB for your chip.

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yeah, put new paste on it. Every time you pull the cooler off. Don't pull the cooler straight up either. twist it first especially after a heat sink has been mounted for a while.

Stealth is ok. If you can get your hands on a Wraith Prism, it'll be an excellent cooler with RGB for your chip.

Ok I looked people installing the same cooler on youtube and so far all of them take off the brackets and just mount it straight on like I did? 

1 minute ago, Smitecreed said:

Ok I looked people installing the same cooler on youtube and so far all of them take off the brackets and just mount it straight on like I did? 

Before I knew it was a stealth..... lol.

Brackets off, the four screws go into the holes. Sorry for the misunderstanding. push the through and one quarter turn. Pretty sure. I don't think I used mine. I had an old Phenom II heat pipe cooler I used instead. 

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Before I knew it was a stealth..... lol.

Brackets off, the four screws go into the holes. Sorry for the misunderstanding. push the through and one quarter turn. Pretty sure. I don't think I used mine. I had an old Phenom II heat pipe cooler I used instead. 

Yeah I should've said what cooler in my original post lol but thanks I just wanted to make sure I didn't mess up lol. 

2 minutes ago, Smitecreed said:

Yeah I should've said what cooler in my original post lol but thanks I just wanted to make sure I didn't mess up lol. 

NP :) 

11 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Disagree. You don't need to change paste if you just put it on. 

Just now, Blue4130 said:

Disagree. You don't need to change paste if you just put it on. 

Of course you do. I don't expect everyone to agree with me all the time!! And I'm not always right.

But by practice and giving sound advice, I tell people to clean and replace.