Windows "softlocks"

TheHaezaert

So for a couple of months i've had this problem that after a random amount of time windows just seems to go into a bugged state, no programs function anymore, i can't start or close anything. I can't even shut down the computer, I can't choose shutdown on the start menu and even pressing the physical power button doesn't do anything. It always ends up in having to force shutdown.

I have reinstalled windows 10 with every driver 2 times already. Last time i did that was 3 weeks ago. I didn't have a single issue for 2 weeks, but this monday it happened again. The only special thing i did that monday was installing ms teams because i need that for school. Which made me believe that ms teams somehow was the problem. I uninstalled it and today it happened again ... I now recovered my pc to a version from a week ago hoping it would fix it.

I don't really think it's a hardware related issue since i had no problems for a couple of weeks and my pc doesn't actually "crash" and windows still reponds to my mouse and keyboard input. Does anyone know what might cause it?

Could be a bad drive? Just guessing. 

The second thing to try is seeing if it's a problem that comes up after 2 certain programs are installed as one being installed could cause the other one to 'soft lock' the system.

Just some guesses!

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

As @SignatureSigner above said, it might be a bad drive. I had a friend who had a damaged SSD witness the same behavior. I would start by trying to use Windows from a different drive.

One other thing it could be is bad RAM, I would run memtest86 for at least an hour and check if there are any memory errors.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

I had a similar experience once with a bad drive in my system. Wasnt even the C drive, but some old HDD i had in there, that caused it. 

That's weird how would a secondary hard drive be able to affect windows?

18 hours ago, Husky said:

As @SignatureSigner above said, it might be a bad drive. I had a friend who had a damaged SSD witness the same behavior. I would start by trying to use Windows from a different drive.

One other thing it could be is bad RAM, I would run memtest86 for at least an hour and check if there are any memory errors.

So i did memtest yesterday with no errors, which is good, just gotta get my hands on a second drive to try and see if i get the same problem. Thanks for the help :)

2 hours ago, TheHaezaert said:

That's weird how would a secondary hard drive be able to affect windows?

Yes, Windows does this weird thing where the entire system locks up if it can't access a disk for some reason, even if it isn't the disk that Windows is installed to. For example, if I plug in a damaged USB flash drive into my system, Windows locks up, and nothing works when I click on things, as soon as I unplug the faulty USB drive, Windows suddenly opens everything I've clicked on and everything is back to normal.

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

2 hours ago, TheHaezaert said:

So i did memtest yesterday with no errors, which is good, just gotta get my hands on a second drive to try and see if i get the same problem. Thanks for the help :)

OK that's great, hopefully it's just a drive because they aren't too expensive compared to some other components in a PC.

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation: