Silicon Power UD70 vs P34A80 1TB. Which one is better?

Od1sseas
Go to solution Solved by cipherlib,

They are both good drives, it depends on what you are looking for. The P34A80 is TLC while the UD70 is QLC. TLC will have higher TBW values. In terms of speed at 1TB the P34A80 would perform better being TLC, but the price for the QLC should be lower. 

Once again depends on your needs if you are going to do frequent write operations go for the P34A80. If you don't care about TBW and want lots of storage for the same price go for the UD70 at 2TB; at 2TB the speeds will match the ones for the 1TB P34A80. I have bought several P34A80 and I would say 9 - 10 maintain the Phison E-12 controller, I just remember getting 1 with the Silicon Motion controller back in February last year and tbh it still performed like a beast. Personally, I would go for the P34A80 TLC at a value :)

2 minutes ago, JustUni said:

Is the UD70 1TB or 2TB version?

1TB both

Manufacturer says they are both just as fast.

I will have to look up a review to get a more representative metric.

52 minutes ago, JustUni said:

Manufacturer says they are both just as fast.

I will have to look up a review to get a more representative metric.

Also, which one is newer? I also heard that on the P34A80, Silicon Power Replaced some of it's components and the drive performs worse than the original

They are both good drives, it depends on what you are looking for. The P34A80 is TLC while the UD70 is QLC. TLC will have higher TBW values. In terms of speed at 1TB the P34A80 would perform better being TLC, but the price for the QLC should be lower. 

Once again depends on your needs if you are going to do frequent write operations go for the P34A80. If you don't care about TBW and want lots of storage for the same price go for the UD70 at 2TB; at 2TB the speeds will match the ones for the 1TB P34A80. I have bought several P34A80 and I would say 9 - 10 maintain the Phison E-12 controller, I just remember getting 1 with the Silicon Motion controller back in February last year and tbh it still performed like a beast. Personally, I would go for the P34A80 TLC at a value :)