My PC wont display anything

Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
3 minutes ago, PWR3838 said:

no

Argh.  So I get to guess.   The thing is boot happens AFTER post,  so “boot” would be boot to bios, unless the thing is set to not show bios but go directly to windows.  It’s a new board though.  Should be set to go to bios.  My best guess is bios needs to be reflashed.  You might be able to do that on that board.  The website mentioned “bios flashback”  I don’t know if that means Theres a way to flash bios with a USB key or merely that there is a backup version of the bios stored.

Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x with stock cooler

MSI Radeon 580RX

MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX MOBO

Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z RAM 8GBx2

ThermalTake Smart 500w  80+ PSU

FIRST BUILD

Whenever I turn on the power switch for my computer, the fans turn on for both the case, the cooler, and the GPU, I get the Boot led on the EZ debug indicator on my motherboard and I get no signal from my monitor, I have tried resetting the CMOS battery, reseating everything in my computer, booting with one stick of ram, booting with no graphics card. When i take my ram out and try and boot again, the leds on the back of my motherboard are blue instead of red and i dont get the boot led on the mobo indicator. I dont know if this is a Ram issue or a power supply issue. My monitor for sure works. 

22 minutes ago, PWR3838 said:

Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x with stock cooler

MSI Radeon 580RX

MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX MOBO

Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z RAM 8GBx2

ThermalTake Smart 500w  80+ PSU

Whenever I turn on the power switch for my computer, the fans turn on for both the case, the cooler, and the GPU, I get the Boot led on the EZ debug indicator on my motherboard and I get no signal from my monitor, I have tried resetting the CMOS battery, reseating everything in my computer, booting with one stick of ram, booting with no graphics card. When i take my ram out and try and boot again, the leds on the back of my motherboard are blue instead of red and i dont get the boot led on the mobo indicator. I dont know if this is a Ram issue or a power supply issue. My monitor for sure works. 

It might be a monitor cable issue.  Have you tested the gpu in another machine so it is known good?  Did this machine ever work correctly?  If so what were the circumstances it stopped working correctly.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

It might be a monitor cable issue.  Have you tested the gpu in another machine so it is known good?  Did this machine ever work correctly?  If so what were the circumstances it stopped working correctly.

I've tested other cables that i know are working in the monitor and they still dont display anything. I just got the build for christmas and it has not worked. This is my first build.

Just now, PWR3838 said:

I've tested other cables that i know are working in the monitor and they still dont display anything. I just got the build for christmas and it has not worked. This is my first build.

So it’s not posting.  Every motherboard has a debug system.  The lowest end version is a beep code system which can require a small speaker to be attached, others use debug LEDs, and others use a small digital readout. I looked up your motherboard to see what system it uses but the MSI site was singularly unhelpful. The tomahawk max is a fairly high end board, so it should have either LEDs or a digital readout.  I don’t know which.  Your manual may say.  The debug system can tell you what is happening as the machine posts (or in your case doesnt) so finding out where it hangs up could be very useful.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

34 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So it’s not posting.  Every motherboard has a debug system.  The lowest end version is a beep code system which can require a small speaker to be attached, others use debug LEDs, and others use a small digital readout. I looked up your motherboard to see what system it uses but the MSI site was singularly unhelpful. The tomahawk max is a fairly high end board, so it should have either LEDs or a digital readout.  I don’t know which.  Your manual may say.  The debug system can tell you what is happening as the machine posts (or in your case doesnt) so finding out where it hangs up could be very useful.

I know what you are talking about. The debug led indicated that the boot device couldnt be found but i do not know what that means.

first photo is with ram and the second one is without if that helps. The leds are the ones at the back of the motherboard

03285D65-0EDD-47BC-8659-1918B80C873E.jpeg

4C67C8C7-A53C-421E-871D-0436E5789B2C.jpeg

Spoiler

So boot light goes.  Does the VGA go too?  Why do you pull the ram out?  

Edited by Bombastinator

VGA does not go. I am thinking that this is either a Ram problem or a power supply problem

Just now, PWR3838 said:

VGA does not go. I am thinking that this is either a Ram problem or a power supply problem

If the Ram lights go on when ram is missing it’s checking for the existence of ram and going on past it and hanging somewhere else when the ram is in.  This doesn’t say ram to me.  ram and PSU are common errors if a PC boot then crashes.  This one isn’t even booting.  Not sure what “boot” light means.  Perhaps a bad bios flash.  Does the manual say anything?

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If the Ram lights go on when ram is missing it’s checking for the existence of ram and going on past it and hanging somewhere else when the ram is in.  This doesn’t say ram to me.  ram and PSU are common errors if a PC boot then crashes.  This one isn’t even booting.  Not sure what “boot” light means.  Perhaps a bad bios flash.  Does the manual say anything?

It says the same thing the website does

3 minutes ago, PWR3838 said:

no

Argh.  So I get to guess.   The thing is boot happens AFTER post,  so “boot” would be boot to bios, unless the thing is set to not show bios but go directly to windows.  It’s a new board though.  Should be set to go to bios.  My best guess is bios needs to be reflashed.  You might be able to do that on that board.  The website mentioned “bios flashback”  I don’t know if that means Theres a way to flash bios with a USB key or merely that there is a backup version of the bios stored.

10 minutes ago, PWR3838 said:

It says the same thing the website does

The motherboard manual?!  It should have a lot more info than that.  The website was an advertisement annoyingly without specifics.

12 minutes ago, PWR3838 said:

do you think i should get a new motherboard?

If you can’t reflash it you could RMA it.  Takes a few days. 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

If you can’t reflash it you could RMA it.  Takes a few days. 

I dont have the option to RMA it since I live in Italy but I will reflash it and let you know of the results.

14 hours ago, PWR3838 said:

I dont have the option to RMA it since I live in Italy but I will reflash it and let you know of the results.

?!  RMA is by mail.  Doesn’t matter where in the world you are.