Which SSD as system drive?

Matttis

Hey everyone!

First of all, happy holidays and, much more importantly, happy birthday to me! ;D

Right now I have Windows installed on a 250gb Samsung 840 EVO. I bought it in 2014 and it served me well.
On another 500gb SSD from Sandisk I have games installed.

Yesterday I ordered a Samsung 1tb 870 QVO because it was on sale and I wanted a bigger game drive.

Now my question is, should I keep Windows on the 250gb SSD or just move my system to the new 1tb drive?
I feel like my whole system would benefit from that and I could install games to it anyway.

The 840 EVO will stay in my system, my games would just be a bit scattered over the separate drives.

What would you do and why?

I'd personally put it on the smallest SSD. The 840 EVO is plenty fast for an OS drive and if you ever need to reinstall, you don't have to worry about moving games and data if you store them on other drives and mainly keep the OS drive just for the OS.

12 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I'd personally put it on the smallest SSD. The 840 EVO is plenty fast for an OS drive and if you ever need to reinstall, you don't have to worry about moving games and data if you store them on other drives and mainly keep the OS drive just for the OS.

That's what I was thinking, too. That way I'd have 1.5tb just for games :)

Also if something becomes corrupt in some places, it might be easier to fix it as well?

Quite a few PC's come with maybe around the 250GB OS drive.

QVO got a worse write speed of SSD's but decent read speed? (QVO being more of their budget option)

Good for storage, I think and you can get more than just 1TB with it unless it's very expensive over there?

in the future 1 TB might not be the best for some games as some for now use quite a bit (3-6 big AAA titles), although not every game is that storage demanding.

2 TB would maybe be more recommended, things can change and if you don't need to use all of it, it's fine too so 1 TB can hold depending on your use case.

Also easy to just get another TB if you need more in the future anyways.

i recently bought a new SSD. The new SSD is faster and will last longer, so this is the drive I want the OS on. This is the drive I also put the latest games on as new games have a lot of assets to load.

I moved my OS from a 500GB WD Black SN750 drive onto the same drive, but with 1TB. The extra storage has been nice, and having programs and games that take a week to load off of an HDD (Office, Skyrim, Photoshop) moved onto a big NVMe drive has been great. I'd move over when you can, but I don't trust QLC yet and would sooner go for a 500GB TLC 3D drive than a QLC platform.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

Thanks for the advice :)
I went with 1TB because it was on sale. And with the two drives I now have 1.5TB, that should be more than enough for me.

With my 1gbit/s connection I can also download games quickly if I uninstall them and want to download them again later.

500gb were just not enough even for that.