MOBO won't recognize NVME boot drive after installing new GPU

EternalSugarHigh

I've been running Windows off of an NVME drive for a few years with no problems, but when I just replaced my old 1080 with a 3080 it briefly booted up to the windows log on screen at low resolution, but restarted a few seconds later with the bios not recognizing that the NVME drive is even present.  It can still see my 2 SATA HDDs.  I've got a 650W PSU which I know is less than recommended for the 3080, but I can't imagine that this somehow caused a bios problem, or am I missing something?  I checked to make sure that nothing was unplugged from the PSU when I put the new GPU in.

MOBO is a Gigabyte x470 gaming 7 wifi, boot drive is a 960 evo.

Update:. It turns out that the drive is straight up dead.  No idea what caused it, the support tech at Micro Center said it looks like it was just unlucky timing that it occurred right after installing the new GPU.

The only thing that worries me is that the BIOS settings were all bright back to defaults when this occurred.  I also had a similar BIOS reset when I installed a new HDD recently, but no other problems.  Should I be worried about my MOBO killing components?

Edited by EternalSugarHigh