Painting a GPU backplate.

Kevin_Walter

What exactly should I use in order to avoid changing thermal performance or color warping from heat?

I have a Sapphire Pulse Vega 56. Love this card, but I've grown tired of the red accents on it when the rest of my components are black and have RGB LEDs. The only red accents I need to change are the red led behind the pulse logo which is easy enough to disconnect, and the red designs on the backplate.

The backplate is super easy to remove and paint. Just want to make sure I'm not going to affect performance in any way whatsoever. I know most people use plastidip for this stuff because it's easy to remove in case you don't like it, so that's what I intend to do... but is there a better option?

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

If all you want to do is remove color a wire wheel would do so and leave shiney metal behind.  Not sure it’s better though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

If all you want to do is remove color a wire wheel would do so and leave shiney metal behind.  Not sure it’s better though.

Nah, I don't want to strip it down to bare metal. I want to black out the backplate so it matches the rest of my build.|

I just want to have all of my bases covered. If there's a better option than plastidip, I'd like to know about it.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Depends on your location and what services you have access to.

For example, there is a metal shop in my town that will powder coat parts for a fee. For $10 they could easily powder coat aluminum or steel in their ovens. It's cheap, effective, and doesn't meaningfully alter the thermal properties of the metal.

Doubt any paint is gonna effect anything. Especially if it’s a bad design. 
Just scuff it up and paint it. Nothing to worry about. 

If you think there’s any real concern, take some temp readings before and after. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Maybe use some self etching primer and then a color metallic paint you like over that???

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS