HDD not being recognised?

Abzilla
Go to solution Solved by Abzilla,

@Oshino ShinobuFor god for f*ck sake, while I was putting the new hdd in i must've unplugged the power cable for the hdd (I believe the SATA) and didn't notice because its one hell of a crap :P but its sorted thank you for your time and help! :D 

Hi, I just put my shiny new 4tb hdd in my pc. I have 2 X 1tb hdd with 1 X 120gb ssd. they were in my sata 1, 2 and 3 ports but when I plugged this new hdd i rearranged the cables and now port 3 isn't being recognised and no hdd is showing up, might've I damaged the port? Also, I unfortunately only have 4 sata ports so Idrk what to do, either way im transferring the data from both of them to the big 4tb so perhaps im best of taking the data off one then removing it, putting the other hdd in and transferring off that?

Thanks

PC Specs: Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk X570  CPU: Ryzen 5900X  CPU Cooler: NZXT 240 mm Kraken Series AIO     GPU: Asus Strix ROG 1080 TI OC Edition    PSU: Corsair RM850 850W   Storage: 2 X 4TB, 2 X 1TB HDD And 1 X 1tb m.2 samsung 980 pro Case:  NZXT H440 2015 Edition

Is it only the new 4TB drive that's not showing? 

If so, it's likely that you just need to Initialise it and create a volume. Open disk management, initialise the disk and then create a new simple volume on the drive and give it a drive letter. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Is it only the new 4TB drive that's not showing? 

If so, it's likely that you just need to Initialise it and create a volume. Open disk management, initialise the disk and then create a new simple volume on the drive and give it a drive letter. 

Nope its one of the original drives, I've already formatted the 4tb drive. I should've mentioned that, sorry.

PC Specs: Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk X570  CPU: Ryzen 5900X  CPU Cooler: NZXT 240 mm Kraken Series AIO     GPU: Asus Strix ROG 1080 TI OC Edition    PSU: Corsair RM850 850W   Storage: 2 X 4TB, 2 X 1TB HDD And 1 X 1tb m.2 samsung 980 pro Case:  NZXT H440 2015 Edition

1 minute ago, Abzilla said:

Nope its one of the original drives, I've already formatted the 4tb drive. I should've mentioned that, sorry.

I assume this is using the H81M S2H board in your sig? There's no M.2 slots to disable ports so it's not that. 

I'd advise reseating all the SATA power and data cables on both the drives and motherboard. I'd be surprised if you managed to break a SATA data port just by rearranging cables.

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I assume this is using the H81M S2H board in your sig? There's no M.2 slots to disable ports so it's not that. 

I'd advise reseating all the SATA power and data cables on both the drives and motherboard. I'd be surprised if you managed to break a SATA data port just by rearranging cables.

honestly I wouldn't be too surprised the board is pretty bad, by reseating you mean taking them all out and replugging?

My sig is what im running atm, good observation

Just now, Abzilla said:

honestly I wouldn't be too surprised the board is pretty bad, by reseating you mean taking them all out and replugging?

Yes. If it doesn't work, try a different cable if you have one. If not, move another drive to port 3 to see if it's the port. Try switching cables around too to see if one of the cables is dead. 

27 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yes. If it doesn't work, try a different cable if you have one. If not, move another drive to port 3 to see if it's the port. Try switching cables around too to see if one of the cables is dead. 

I think you're right. I put my ssd into the port and it is recognised, ill try with a new cable an report back

@Oshino ShinobuFor god for f*ck sake, while I was putting the new hdd in i must've unplugged the power cable for the hdd (I believe the SATA) and didn't notice because its one hell of a crap :P but its sorted thank you for your time and help! :D