Looking for some more eyes on a potential future build

PowerPigeon

Hey all! Lately I've been dreaming of a new build to replace my ~7 year old one that's definitely starting to show its age, as I'm sure many of us have been in the COVID times. I've put together a list of parts working around a ~$1600 CAD budget and I was hoping people with more knowledge would be able to take a look and see if I'm hitting the targets I want to. In short, what I'm looking for is:

• Something that can run modern AAA titles at 1440p at high frame rates. By "modern AAA" I'm thinking the sorts of games LTT tends to use for benchmarking.
    • What's "high"? I'm not sure, but my current rig barely pulls 30 in many things so anything would be an improvement. Is 100fps+ unreasonable for this build?
    • I don't really play a ton of recent titles, but my thinking is if the build pull this off I'll be set for my uses.
  • Something that could be used to run a Valve Index in the future, I'm wanting to pick one up at some point.

Full disclosure: I'm a software person so I have very minimal hardware knowledge. Is what I've put together reasonable for the above wants, or am I out of my mind? Any feedback or suggestions is appreciated! As a side note I am attached to my case choice so I don't want any changes there, but if I've missed anything obvious that would get me more bang for my buck (or somewhere I could shell out a bit more and get a performance boost) please let me know! And yes I realize that my CPU and GPU choices are hopelessly out of stock at the moment, but I've yet to save up the cash for this so this will be more of a late-Spring 2021 build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($279.99 @ Staples) 
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($113.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($144.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB VENTUS 2X OC Video Card 
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($139.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Total: $963.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-13 19:45 EST-0500

tha build you have is good, i'd try to get a 3070 though.

the only issue it has is the case, which has bad airflow and everything will cook inside.

some good airflow cases:

2 hours ago, boggy77 said:

tha build you have is good, i'd try to get a 3070 though.

the only issue it has is the case, which has bad airflow and everything will cook inside.

some good airflow cases:

Thanks for the heads up in the case! I’m adding airflow to the list of things I need to remember to think about haha. Will take a look at your case suggestions. 

I might be able to squeeze a 3070 into my budget. What sort of performance gain would it offer if I did? It’s about a $130 price difference from the 3060 Ti it seems. 

17 minutes ago, PowerPigeon said:

Thanks for the heads up in the case! I’m adding airflow to the list of things I need to remember to think about haha. Will take a look at your case suggestions. 

I might be able to squeeze a 3070 into my budget. What sort of performance gain would it offer if I did? It’s about a $130 price difference from the 3060 Ti it seems. 

about 10% increase in standard performance

RWja8eihbHTK2RrFPL6FpK-1920-80.png

and about 15% in ray tracing games

JeMScKLWfcQNPjrXiefPPM-1920-80.png

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

about 10% increase in standard performance

RWja8eihbHTK2RrFPL6FpK-1920-80.png

and about 15% in ray tracing games

JeMScKLWfcQNPjrXiefPPM-1920-80.png

Oh those are some great graphs, thanks very much! At least I’ll have some time to consider while waiting for stock haha. Appreciate the help.