Help me switch to Linux

Go to solution Solved by mahyar,

those are called distros

distro is short for distribution 

ubuntu is one of the famous ones and most popular one 

my second recommendation is manjaro (what im using)

there are a ton of distros 

i suggest test manjaro and ubuntu and all of their desktop environments 

Hello, so basically I'm sick of using Windows and I want to switch to Linux but I don't know how to do that, the things that I want to do is just play games and attend zoom meetings while having the same apps like Zoom, Steam, and Razer Synapse, so any help from you guys to get started would be wonderful. Thanks 

zoom and steam have native versions

Razer Synapse idk

what games do you play?

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Just now, nyereyn said:

Only csgo and sometimes LoL and that's all.

csgo has native version about LoL well proton does not support it but results with wine are mixed it might or might not work

2 minutes ago, mahyar said:

csgo has native version about LoL well proton does not support it but results with wine are mixed it might or might not work

oh ok so about the "different version" what should I choose? Ubuntu is the only one that I know

those are called distros

distro is short for distribution 

ubuntu is one of the famous ones and most popular one 

my second recommendation is manjaro (what im using)

there are a ton of distros 

i suggest test manjaro and ubuntu and all of their desktop environments 

pop os is also a solid option

i suggest you watch videos of anthony explaining about switching

[unwanted repeat]

6 minutes ago, nyereyn said:

Hello, so basically I'm sick of using Windows and I want to switch to Linux but I don't know how to do that, the things that I want to do is just play games and attend zoom meetings while having the same apps like Zoom, Steam, and Razer Synapse, so any help from you guys to get started would be wonderful. Thanks 

Games with anti-cheat software won't run. Everything else will likely run via Proton (software in-build into Steam which allows to run Windows games on Linux), either out-of-the-box or after some googling, or is available natively.

MS Office and Adobe suites are not available. There are pretty good replacements (Libreoffice for MS Office, GIMP for Photoshop, Davinci Resolve for Premiere, various Linux PDF readers for Acrobat), but it's only up to you to decide whether they can well replace MS and Adobe products for you. As for me, I never had any issues with Libreoffice (it can read and write MS Office files), but I know some people do.

Also, prepare to learn some things and get rid of some Windows habits (like, for example, looking for an executable file online; things are done differently in Linux in this regard).

Just now, Alexeygridnev1993 said:

Games with anti-cheat software won't run. Everything else will likely run via Proton (software in-build into Steam which allows to run Windows games on Linux), either out-of-the-box or after some googling, or is available natively.

MS Office and Adobe suites are not available. There are pretty good replacements (Libreoffice for MS Office, GIMP for Photoshop, Davinci Resolve for Premiere, various Linux PDF readers for Acrobat), but it's only up to you to decide whether they can well replace MS and Adobe products for you. As for me, I never had any issues with Libreoffice (it can read and write MS Office files), but I know some people do.

Also, prepare to learn some things and get rid of some Windows habits (like, for example, looking for an executable file online; things are done differently in Linux in this regard).

well older versions of ms office like 2007 and 2010 will run on wine

and looking for executable for linux online is sometimes necessary like chrome on ubuntu  

Oh I see, so do I just follow the steps from the Ubuntu (I'll just pick it for now to get a feel for it) website? and I want to ask a quick question, is there support for usb mics with good drivers unlike windows? 

1 minute ago, nyereyn said:

Oh I see, so do I just follow the steps from the Ubuntu (I'll just pick it for now to get a feel for it) website? and I want to ask a quick question, is there support for usb mics with good drivers unlike windows? 

well idk

you should google for you specific mic

btw there is a website that you can test distros online there : https://distrotest.net

all major distros are there for now just test ubuntu and kubuntu just to feel it

If you're switching to Ubuntu or Manjaro be sure to check if your hardware works on Linux.

You mentioned USB microphones, but it can be other things too like suspend and sleep if you're using a laptop, or NVidia drivers crashing, or not getting the max turbo boost of your CPU.

This is not the fault of linux, it's because the companies behind those devices only tested on Windows. The issues will eventually get fixed but be aware you are part of the linux rebel alliance, there is no Empire to force device / driver quality. If you grow to like living on the edge (and get really good at researching hardware before buying) then linux works fine.

On 12/13/2020 at 3:05 PM, mahyar said:

Razer Synapse idk

there are programs like open rgb and open razer

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

If you just need synapse for configuring your mouse, there is a program called Piper which can configure most gaming mice

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2020 at 5:26 PM, nyereyn said:

It does have support but it varies from mic to mic

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.