CPU Upgrade Help please

Big-Pete

Heya Guys,

Simple Question-

I have a 3700X in an ASRock X570M Pro4 M-ATX mobo, with a Dark rock Pro3 Cooler, gpu is 1080ti- but will be going 3080 when stock allows.

What CPU should I upgrade to? 

R7 5800X is £461 At time of writing. 8 core

R9 3900XT is £430  12core

are the IPC improvements enough on the 5800x to beat out the 3900xt??

I won't be overclocking- build has to be nigh on silent when idle and id like minimal fan noise when rendering/gaming.

Thanks in advance.

24 minutes ago, Salt Shaker said:

Hello Big-Pete,

If you don't play at high refresh rate 1080p, there is no point upgrading your CPU.

There will be no difference at all.

I like to play max settings and rock solid frames- dips under 75 are a nono. 

The 5800X will be the highest FPS in games out of those choices. Go for that

reference

I understand. But what is your resolution ?

As I tell you, there is no difference if you don't play 1080p.

You might have a really, really low gain at 1440p but, I think, it is not worth any money.

If I were you, I will keep the 3700x. It is a good CPU and it will handle well.

You might think to change later and, even later, not sure it is worth it. Keep it as long as you can. In a gaming scenario, your GPU matters really more.

So, to summerize :

1080p : why not but not worth the money

1440p / 4K : there is no reason. Except if you think that 3 fps gain worth 430£.

Better try to tweak your ram.

That is my opinion, of course. You can change it and see there is differences you cannot even tell yourself or the others. The only thing it can offer you is peace of mind. But let's say this is bias because there is no difference.

16 minutes ago, Salt Shaker said:

I understand. But what is your resolution ?

As I tell you, there is no difference if you don't play 1080p.

You might have a really, really low gain at 1440p but, I think, it is not worth any money.

If I were you, I will keep the 3700x. It is a good CPU and it will handle well.

You might think to change later and, even later, not sure it is worth it. Keep it as long as you can. In a gaming scenario, your GPU matters really more.

So, to summerize :

1080p : why not but not worth the money

1440p / 4K : there is no reason. Except if you think that 3 fps gain worth 430£.

Better try to tweak your ram.

That is my opinion, of course. You can change it and see there is differences you cannot even tell yourself or the others. The only thing it can offer you is peace of mind. But let's say this is bias because there is no difference.

Based on what I've seen I have to disagree with most of this.

OPs plan is to move to an RTX 3080 as soon as available so we should make that the spec for this decision. The decision being what's going to perform best and is it worth it between a 3700X, 3900X and 5800X.

For gaming it is clear that the 5800X will outperform the other 2 CPUs and by a pretty decent margin in some cases.

Spending hours tweaking RAM is NOT worth it for potentially just a few FPS. How much is your time worth?

16 minutes ago, Shabba said:

For gaming it is clear that the 5800X will outperform the other 2 CPUs and by a pretty decent margin in some cases.

Those benchmarks are 1080p.

We still don't know if he is playing 1080p or not. Even if this the case, we still can give him an opnion on the real gain for the money.

But he may see for 1440p benchmark otherwise. 1080p is different that those scenarios.

1 hour ago, Big-Pete said:

I like to play max settings and rock solid frames- dips under 75 are a nono. 

And here, we are taking about 75 rock solid frames. Not 180+ rock solid frames.

Big-Pete : you will have 75 solid fps whatever is your choice and you might not see a real performance increase at 1440p or more.

The choice is yours.

1 hour ago, Salt Shaker said:

Those benchmarks are 1080p.

We still don't know if he is playing 1080p or not. Even if this the case, we still can give him an opnion on the real gain for the money.

But he may see for 1440p benchmark otherwise. 1080p is different that those scenarios.

And here, we are taking about 75 rock solid frames. Not 180+ rock solid frames.

Big-Pete : you will have 75 solid fps whatever is your choice and you might not see a real performance increase at 1440p or more.

The choice is yours.

5800X is consistently better than the 3700X with an RTX 3080 at 1440p and 4k

1440P Ultra - COD MW

3700X 190FPS / 5800X 206 FPS

4K ULTRA - COD MW

3700X 110FPS / 5800X 124FPS

1440P Ultra - Battlefield V

3700X 179FPS / 5800X 195FPS

4K ULTRA - Battlefield V

3700X 98FPS / 5800X 114FPS

Plus many more tested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bwN16DtrV0

Yes. That is really not a great difference for 540. And we're far above the 75 rock solid infps  every scenario.

And you may ask him : what is your screen refresh rate, just in case it matters even less.

At last, this a personnal decision. He got every info he needs. He can decide if it is worth or not. 

Currently Playing at 1080/60- but with plans in the future to bump to 4k/120(when I find a 65" that supports it without interlacing) 

Id rather game at a lower res but higher settings/more eye candy turned on. I may skip 5800/3080 entirely and just build a whole new rig in 20XX 

Cheers guys :)