Molex to pwm?

unf0rg0tt3n

Hi guys,

I have a server chassis with 3 hotswap fans. Those fans are 4 pin pwm fans, which slides on a backplane that has a pwm header. That backplane gets powered by molex.聽

So I am wondering if there is a female molex to pwm fan adapter? I like to keep the fans a little more low on noise sometimes 馃槄

I did find another post somewhere on the ltt forums that was referring to molex fans. But this isn't the same.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Benji said:

This can't exist as one of those wires is the PWM regulation signal that the fan controller handles, Molex on the other hand just gives out a fixed amount of power (5V on one wire, 12V on the other IIRC). So a Molex>4-pin would be useless.

Ah thats too bad! Is there any other solution that you know of? Those fans tend to get real loud sometimes聽

On 12/5/2020 at 12:23 AM, unf0rg0tt3n said:

Ah thats too bad! Is there any other solution that you know of? Those fans tend to get real loud sometimes聽

Molex is slowly dying, so finding anything made for might be hard. If you have electrical skills, you can add resistor or make custom voltage regulator. Easy mod is to just cut 12V wire of the molex side. Or if you can find more direct way to get PWM connection, that gives you more options.

One option also is to use molex-3pin and then use either knob controller or mobo to treat those fans as regular DC fans. Minus speed monitoring ofc.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 12/4/2020 at 11:28 PM, Benji said:

I know that there are some specific fan cables or even splitters that have some sort of resistor or something like that on the inside that gives the fan less voltage and thus makes it spin lower, but don't ask me how they're called.

On 12/6/2020 at 9:42 PM, LogicalDrm said:

Molex is slowly dying, so finding anything made for might be hard. If you have electrical skills, you can add resistor or make custom voltage regulator. Easy mod is to just cut 12V wire of the molex side. Or if you can find more direct way to get PWM connection, that gives you more options.

One option also is to use molex-3pin and then use either knob controller or mobo to treat those fans as regular DC fans. Minus speed monitoring ofc.

Thanks guys! Unfortunately it isn't possible but I still appreciate the explanations.