I need help in choosing a cpu.

Go to solution Solved by Chris Fortune,

Just checked the Scan updates on delivery and it looks like they are expecting weekly deliveries of up to 200 at a time with 126 pre orders outstanding. It does look like stocks are ramping up so if you can I would wait if you can

This was probably posted quite a few times but I hope you can bear with me with a question many new builders may have. Especially now.

I have recently begun my pc build journey and I've reached a point where I need to decide what AMD cpu to buy. Every other part I have except the gpu but i'll get into that later.

Like a lot of people right now, I want a zen 3 cpu but stock is a huge issue. I don't want to spend every moment of my day looking for a 5600x to be in stock and then to be beaten by bots or other buyers.

The performance to cost ratio is what is attracts me to the 5600x.

I've expanded my search for cpus and did some user benchmark comparisons and saw that the Ryzen 7 3800x/3800xt was very close to the performance to the 5600x. The price isn't placed to much higher over the MSRP of the 5600x.

I should probably reach my point. I want some advice from builders to tell me whether to wait and stress myself to get the 5600x ASAP or to say screw it and go for the 3800x/xt.

Like I mentioned above, I don't have the gpu yet but it seems that the RTX 3070 and the new RTX 3060ti is coming in stock much more often than the amd cpus. If get this cpu, I can use my ancient AMD Radeon HD 6670 to at least have a functioning pc until I get the aforementioned gfx cards.

The Build

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor £311.51 @ Overclockers.co.uk
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler Purchased For £0.00
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For £0.00
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory Purchased For £0.00
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB EAGLE Video Card £602.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For £0.00
Power Supply Corsair RMx White (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For £0.00
Case Fan Corsair ML120 75 CFM 120 mm Fans 2-Pack Purchased For £0.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total £914.46
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-04 13:44 GMT+0000  

Note: I have more than enough storage space on hand already

Any and all help would be amazing and I know that the community can help anyone and their endeavours. 

7 minutes ago, I am Redacted said:

This was probably posted quite a few times but I hope you can bear with me with a question many new builders may have. Especially now.

I have recently begun my pc build journey and I've reached a point where I need to decide what AMD cpu to buy. Every other part I have except the gpu but i'll get into that later.

Like a lot of people right now, I want a zen 3 cpu but stock is a huge issue. I don't want to spend every moment of my day looking for a 5600x to be in stock and then to be beaten by bots or other buyers.

The performance to cost ratio is what is attracts me to the 5600x.

I've expanded my search for cpus and did some user benchmark comparisons and saw that the Ryzen 7 3800x/3800xt was very close to the performance to the 5600x. The price isn't placed to much higher over the MSRP of the 5600x.

I should probably reach my point. I want some advice from builders to tell me whether to wait and stress myself to get the 5600x ASAP or to say screw it and go for the 3800x/xt.

Like I mentioned above, I don't have the gpu yet but it seems that the RTX 3070 and the new RTX 3060ti is coming in stock much more often than the amd cpus. If get this cpu, I can use my ancient AMD Radeon HD 6670 to at least have a functioning pc until I get the aforementioned gfx cards.

The Build

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor £311.51 @ Overclockers.co.uk
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler Purchased For £0.00
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For £0.00
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory Purchased For £0.00
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB EAGLE Video Card £602.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For £0.00
Power Supply Corsair RMx White (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For £0.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total £914.46
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-04 13:44 GMT+0000  

Note: I have more than enough storage space on hand already

Any and all help would be amazing and I know that the community can help anyone and their endeavours. 

If you really don't want to too wait for stock to come back a 3800xt would work well. I'd still recommend the 5600x as it has much better gaming performance but still. Also reason I didn't go for the 3800x is because the XT variant is 40 cents more https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/9wfFf7/amd-ryzen-7-3800xt-39-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000279wof

If you want to save 40 pounds go for the 3700x

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

I have just got my upgrade from a 3800x, if you are london local DM me and see if we can make a deal if you want a cheaper temporary solution till stocks normalise

1 minute ago, Chris Fortune said:

I have just got my upgrade from a 3800x, if you are london local DM me and see if we can make a deal if you want a cheaper temporary solution till stocks normalise

Unfortunately not. I'm based in Ireland.

Ireland don't have any good and cheap pc part retailers hence the usage of uk pcpartpicker

R

6 minutes ago, Downkey said:

If you really don't want to too wait for stock to come back a 3800xt would work well. I'd still recommend the 5600x as it has much better gaming performance but still. Also reason I didn't go for the 3800x is because the XT variant is 40 cents more https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/9wfFf7/amd-ryzen-7-3800xt-39-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000279wof

If you want to save 40 pounds go for the 3700x

I hear you. I'd take your points into consideration. My thanks

Damn, not really set up to help out there.

I would wait for the 5600 myself but can you by from CEX? they are pretty decent but a bit pricey although they do offer a 2 year garantee on all parts so that kind of explains their prices a bit. Not sure if you can buy from Ireland though

Just now, Chris Fortune said:

Damn, not really set up to help out there.

I would wait for the 5600 myself but can you by from CEX? they are pretty decent but a bit pricey although they do offer a 2 year garantee on all parts so that kind of explains their prices a bit. Not sure if you can buy from Ireland though

There's one store at the otherside of the country that has a 3800x. Similarly priced to the amazon listing. The Amazon also includes a code for Far Cry 6 when it's out

Just checked the Scan updates on delivery and it looks like they are expecting weekly deliveries of up to 200 at a time with 126 pre orders outstanding. It does look like stocks are ramping up so if you can I would wait if you can

1 minute ago, Chris Fortune said:

I have a 5600x basically bought on Novatech but they didn't accept Irish registered cards, had to cancel the order :/

You know your situation better than anyone else but for me I would wait a week and seeing what has come through with the larger retailers that will accept your card :P but I would be hopeful

Just now, Chris Fortune said:

You know your situation better than anyone else but for me I would wait a week and seeing what has come through with the larger retailers that will accept your card :P but I would be hopeful

I'm glad you came along. Had I bought a 3800x, It would've arrived buy Monday 14th. After reading the scan post you mentioned it makes more sense to wait for that Monday and buy the cpu (if possible) then