What kind of effects could happen if my psu wasn't enough for my new gpu

Airbournebubz

I recently upgraded my gpu from a 1070ti to a 2070super. I'm am quite please with the card however since upgrading I have noticed strange flickering and switching off on my main monitor. 

Specs -

Asus B450 plus motherboard

Ryzen 7 3700x

Rtx 2070 super 

600w cooler master masterwatt lite PSU

2 x GB ddr4 Corsair vengeance ram

Could anyone help me diagnose this issue 

It can't be the monitor as I use it for work and playing on console and it's fine

Appreciate ya

Quite honestly, it sounds like you were sold a dud GPU. Can you test the 2070 in another system?

To answer your question, in my experience if a PSU cannot power the GPU then the system will refuse to boot at all. Ampere has another issue when its power draw can suddenly spike which can cause the PSUs overcurrent protection to trip but since your GPU is not Ampere this isn't relevant to you and in any case I wouldn't expect intermittent output from either scenario.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Juular said:

It is connected through HDMI/Display port ? Try replacing the cable with the better one.

Yeah, try this first. Trobleshooting 101, start with the simple stuff.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

The monitor that struggles occasionally is connected via display port cable that was provided in with it. My other monitor is connected via HDMI and never switches off 

I'll try a new cable and get back to you

Didn't expect to get a response so quick 

Nice one!

2 minutes ago, Airbournebubz said:

The monitor that struggles occasionally is connected via display port cable that was provided in with it. My other monitor is connected via HDMI and never switches off 

Take the known working HDMI cable and test it in the PC/on the other monitor.

Also just for clarification the monitor doesn't flicker and go black constantly, it's on occasion I'd say it's 1 out of five times I boot the pc,

It works fine most of the time however the flickering only started recently and cannot be solved by a reboot unlike the black screen

I'll try the new cables n see what happens thanks

22 hours ago, Juular said:

It is connected through HDMI/Display port ? Try replacing the cable with the better one.

So I got a new cable yesterday and tried it out and the flicker still persists, it seems to be when something drastically changes on the monitor using display port the monitor flashes 

for a millisecond, what are the next steps i could take to narrow down this problem?

24 minutes ago, Airbournebubz said:

So I got a new cable yesterday and tried it out and the flicker still persists, it seems to be when something drastically changes on the monitor using display port the monitor flashes 

for a millisecond, what are the next steps i could take to narrow down this problem?

Can you switch to HDMI cable to see if it fixes the problem ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

Can you switch to HDMI cable to see if it fixes the problem ?

I had a play around with it and it seems the flickering goes away when I set my refresh rate down to 120hz instead of 144hz I have tried the hdmi cable in the monitor and it seems as if the flickering does stop there aswell, any idea what the issue could be?

9 minutes ago, Airbournebubz said:

I had a play around with it and it seems the flickering goes away when I set my refresh rate down to 120hz instead of 144hz I have tried the hdmi cable in the monitor and it seems as if the flickering does stop there aswell, any idea what the issue could be?

Most likely it's EMI. The PSU which is pretty bad can be the source of it too, i'd say replace it anyway and see if it helps with the flickering. But i had similar problem with HDMI which went away after i've replaced the cable twice, and my PSU is pretty high-end (Corsair RM-x).

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

8 minutes ago, Juular said:

Most likely it's EMI. The PSU which is pretty bad can be the source of it too, i'd say replace it anyway and see if it helps with the flickering. But i had similar problem with HDMI which went away after i've replaced the cable twice, and my PSU is pretty high-end (Corsair RM-x).

I'll replace the PSU, thanks for your help!