Headset volume knob VS dac/amp volume knob VS OS volume

andreaptr
Go to solution Solved by Tigerleon,

You should always have windows volume at max and then adjust accordingly with the amp.

Hi, "audiophile" noob here. ( I'm sorry in advance for the bad grammar, english is not my native language)

I just got a new pair of sennheiser pc37x headset which has a built-in volume knob that i use to control the sound level while keeping windows at 100%. At the moment, I'm using my old sound blaster play3! usb sound card to boost the volume and the microphone gain however, even when using custom parametric eq (on equalizer APO), I feel like the sounds are too clustered and muffled.

For this reason, after comparing many reviews and models for my budget, I decided to order the sennheiser gsx 300 dac/amp (I know it's very entry-level) which should arrive next week. This wil be my first ever experience with this kind of tool.

Now, how should I use the volume knobs? Should I keep windows and the headset at 100% and just use the dac/amp? should I work with both the headphone's and the dac/amp's knob ?

Also, any tip for a noob in this area?

I know my equipment is not exactly audiophile-level but this is all I can afford atm plus I have 0 experience on this sector.

Thank you in advance for your input :)

14 minutes ago, andreaptr said:

Hi, "audiophile" noob here. ( I'm sorry in advance for the bad grammar, english is not my native language)

I just got a new pair of sennheiser pc37x headset which has a built-in volume knob that i use to control the sound level while keeping windows at 100%. At the moment, I'm using my old sound blaster play3! usb sound card to boost the volume and the microphone gain however, even when using custom parametric eq (on equalizer APO), I feel like the sounds are too clustered and muffled.

For this reason, after comparing many reviews and models for my budget, I decided to order the sennheiser gsx 300 dac/amp (I know it's very entry-level) which should arrive next week. This wil be my first ever experience with this kind of tool.

Now, how should I use the volume knobs? Should I keep windows and the headset at 100% and just use the dac/amp? should I work with both the headphone's and the dac/amp's knob ?

Also, any tip for a noob in this area?

I know my equipment is not exactly audiophile-level but this is all I can afford atm plus I have 0 experience on this sector.

Thank you in advance for your input :)

do highlight your text and click on this (the Tx ) to remove formating

it's black on black for night theme

image.png.b02d42e4219ae286d4a6b5e61e9af7e0.png

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

do highlight your text and click on this (the Tx ) to remove formating

it's black on black for night theme

image.png.b02d42e4219ae286d4a6b5e61e9af7e0.png

not sure of what it does but I think I did it :)

generally you get better quality audio when you have the headset volume and the os volume maxed while using said audio controller for audio levels (at least thats how it is for me)

You should always have windows volume at max and then adjust accordingly with the amp.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)