Overclocking 5900x and memory

I am completely new to overclocking and I don't know anything at all. I luckily got a 5900x off of newegg with an Aorus Elite x570. I read online that overclocking will severely degrade the longevity of the system, and I am planning on keeping this system for 3-5 years. Will overclocking stop me from getting this kind of longevity out of my system? Also, I bought 32 GB 3200 Mhz crucial ballistix e-die dual rank C16 memory for cheap off amazon because I heard that it was easily overclockable to 3600 mhz, which I read would line up 1 to 1 with the infinity fabric. How hard is it to memory overclock to a basic degree to get that kind of performance from my memory? I read online that it should not be that difficult to get a 4.6 ghz overclock @ 1.25 volts on my 5900x. Is that in-line with what everyone else is getting?

11 minutes ago, modawls123 said:

I read online that overclocking will severely degrade the longevity of the system, and I am planning on keeping this system for 3-5 years. Will overclocking stop me from getting this kind of longevity out of my system?

First off, this is complete bogus. If you're overclocking on a crappy cooler and constantly sitting at 98C under load, that might reduce the lifespan of your system. If you take the time to properly test an overclock that works for your system, with adequate cooling, it shouldn't effect the lifespan of the chip in any meaningful way. 

14 minutes ago, modawls123 said:

Also, I bought 32 GB 3200 Mhz crucial ballistix e-die dual rank C16 memory for cheap off amazon because I heard that it was easily overclockable to 3600 mhz, which I read would line up 1 to 1 with the infinity fabric. How hard is it to memory overclock to a basic degree to get that kind of performance from my memory?

That'll really come down to the silicon lottery. RAM compatibility and overclocking is one of the most finnicky and inconsistent things in PC building today. But, if you're reading reviews of that kit that say a 3600MHz overclock is achievable, then it's definitely a possibility. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

First off, this is complete bogus. If you're overclocking on a crappy cooler and constantly sitting at 98C under load, that might reduce the lifespan of your system. If you take the time to properly test an overclock that works for your system, with adequate cooling, it shouldn't effect the lifespan of the chip in any meaningful way. 

That'll really come down to the silicon lottery. RAM compatibility and overclocking is one of the most finnicky and inconsistent things in PC building today. But, if you're reading reviews of that kit that say a 3600MHz overclock is achievable, then it's definitely a possibility. 

Thanks, I will definitely overclock my CPU then haha. What is a constant underload temp that would be good for my CPU do you think? I also read that overvolting the CPU will cause issues with longevity, what threshold do you think I should hold?

1 minute ago, modawls123 said:

What is a constant underload temp that would be good for my CPU do you think?

Anything under 85-90 is fine, but I'd be most comfortable around the 80-ish range. What cooler are you using?

3 minutes ago, modawls123 said:

I also read that overvolting the CPU will cause issues with longevity,

That point about longevity might be accurate, in some situations. But like I said, as long as you're not just cranking everything to max you're going to be fine. 

what threshold do you think I should hold?

Having never overclocked a 5900X I can't really give you my own anecdotes, but KitGuru managed to get their chip to 4.7GHz at 1.33v, so that seems like a pretty reasonable target for you, depending on cooling (they were using a pretty fancy AIO). 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

Anything under 85-90 is fine, but I'd be most comfortable around the 80-ish range. What cooler are you using?

That point about longevity might be accurate, in some situations. But like I said, as long as you're not just cranking everything to max you're going to be fine. 

Having never overclocked a 5900X I can't really give you my own anecdotes, but KitGuru managed to get their chip to 4.7GHz at 1.33v, so that seems like a pretty reasonable target for you, depending on cooling (they were using a pretty fancy AIO). 

I have a bequiet dark rock pro 4, I got it for a decent deal at like 70 USD. It is so large I am kind of afraid to mount it haha. I still need a GPU so I'm trying to do some research in advance. Thanks for the info!

I have a bequiet dark rock pro 4, I got it for a decent deal at like 70 USD. It is so large I am kind of afraid to mount it haha. I still need a GPU so I'm trying to do some research in advance. Thanks for the info!

No problem. Dark rock pro 4 is a very beefy cooler, so I sincerely doubt you'll run into any cooling problems. 

Main PC:

Peripherals/Other:

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

What are you using the cpu for?

Unless you are running heavy multi threaded loads all day, don't overclock the 5900x. The cpu will boost higher on it's own than you can achieve either an overclock during light loads and single threaded focused tasks like gaming. Just turn on pbo and forget about it. I've even set up a slight undervolt offset that got my temps down from 85c+ in cinebench, to 72-75c with no performance loss.

My 5900x will boost to 4.94ghz in games and I've even seen 5.09ghz a few times while I was benching it. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x | MB: Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570 | Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600mhz CL16 @ 3800 CL16 | GPU: EVGA 2070 Super Black | Cooler: EVGA CLC 240 with Arctic P12 fans | PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 GA | Storage: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe SSD | Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14 Redux, 4x Arctic P12 (including the 2 on rad) | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C with dark tint tempered glass | Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Lite | Mouse: Razer Viper Ultimate | Monitor: 27" Samsung Odyssey G7 | Speakers: JVC SP-UX7000 in cherry | No RGB except the pump block is set to white. Motherboard lighting is OFF.