Hey Guys,

I am running at lowest 40fps and at most 80fps on the new black ops (Call of Duty®: Black Ops Cold War) - keeping in note that only 5gbs out of the 8gbs of vram is being used on good settings -  and I have the following specs;

CPU: i5-9600k

GPU: RTX 2070

Ram: 32gb 3200MHz

My friend averages around 80-90 fps on the same settings with the following specs;

CPU: i7-7700

GPU: GTX 1660

Ram: 16gb ??MHz

I suspect a cpu bottleneck, would I correct by thinking that? If so, what can you recommend on replacing the cpu with. 

Edit: All drivers updated and CPU usage (Task Manager) 80-100% in-game.

Thanks for the help, Dr.  

Edited by Drfrankenfish
Updates

Could be driver and optimization issues, after all the game has just released. Also you don't seem the only person to be having issues with Black Ops Cold War. I suggest checking/waiting for updates and drivers.

Just now, AndreiArgeanu said:

Could be driver and optimization issues, after all the game has just released. Also you don't seem the only person to be having issues with Black Ops Cold War. I suggest checking/waiting for updates and drivers.

Well I don't directly have those issues I have more of textures disappearing my fps is over 60 averaging 80 - 90

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

7 minutes ago, Drfrankenfish said:

I suspect a cpu bottleneck

Considering your CPU is better at both single threaded and mult threaded performance, I doubt that

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Hey,

Thanks for the info, all my drivers are up to date along with my game and windows drivers/updates ect.... 

I'm sure as time goes on they will release optimizations but it still really annoys me that I cannot run a game that an console can at worse fps....

Cheers, Dr.

8 minutes ago, Drfrankenfish said:

Hey Guys,

I am running at lowest 40fps and at most 80fps on the new black ops (Call of Duty®: Black Ops Cold War) - keeping in note that only 5gbs out of the 8gbs of vram is being used on good settings -  and I have the following specs;

CPU: i5-9600k

GPU: RTX 2070

Ram: 32gb 3200MHz

My friend averages around 80-90 fps on the same settings with the following specs;

CPU: i7-7700

GPU: GTX 1660

Ram: 16gb ??MHz

I suspect a cpu bottleneck, would I correct by thinking that? If so, what can you recommend on replacing the cpu with. 

Thanks for the help, Dr.  

I mean overall the 7700 is a better cpu for the game as the game seems to like to use over 6 threads so not too big of a surprise that the 9600k may be struggling a bit. That and it's pretty hit or miss right now for a lot of people it seems.

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Considering your CPU is better at both single threaded and mult threaded performance, I doubt that

Thanks for the help, I will look into it.

Cheers, Dr.

Just now, jaslion said:

I mean overall the 7700 is a better cpu for the game as the game seems to like to use over 6 threads so not too big of a surprise that the 9600k may be struggling a bit. That and it's pretty hit or miss right now for a lot of people it seems.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, it does seem that way with the game. Hopefully they optimise it soon. 

Cheers for the help, Dr.

Just now, Drfrankenfish said:

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, it does seem that way with the game. Hopefully they optimise it soon. 

Cheers for the help, Dr.

It's an activision published game so I doubt it 😛

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

The 7700 is not by any means a better cpu than the 9600k in any scenarios, not even single threaded ones. The 7700 can only boost up to 4ghz on all cores, while the 9600k can do 4.4ghz on 4 cores and 4.3ghz on all 6 cores.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

The 7700 is not by any means a better cpu than the 9600k in any scenarios, not even single threaded ones. The 7700 can only boost up to 4ghz on all cores, while the 9600k can do 4.4ghz on 4 cores and 4.3ghz on all 6 cores.

Hmmm,

Yeah that is true... Just really frustrating that a AUD$2700 PC cant ran a goddamn game xD.

Cheers for the help, Dr.

14 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Half true. Yes the 7700 is worse in single threaded performance and is only a 4 core but it does have 8 threads and we have seen in multiple games that 4c/8t cpu's can handle games better than a 6 core i5 without ht when the game likes to use more than 6 threads or if the game simply maxes out 6 threads but doesn't use more than that.

I never said the 7700 is a better cpu in terms of raw performance what I did say is that it is the better gaming cpu because it is more balanced and in tune with what games need right now compared to a 9600k

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Half true. Yes the 7700 is worse in single threaded performance and is only a 4 core but it does have 8 threads and we have seen in multiple games that 4c/8t cpu's can handle games better than a 6 core i5 without ht when the game likes to use more than 6 threads or if the game simply maxes out 6 threads but doesn't use more than that.

I never said the 7700 is a better cpu in terms of raw performance what I did say is that it is the better gaming cpu because it is more balanced and in tune with what games need right now compared to a 9600k

What do you think about me upgrading to an i7 / i9?

Cheers, Dr.

8 minutes ago, Drfrankenfish said:

What do you think about me upgrading to an i7 / i9?

Cheers, Dr.

Would suck to do as 2700 aud for a 9600k+2070 system already sounds like you got a bad deal on it and a upgrade would be another hit. But it wouldn't hurt. I cannot recommend a 9700k as it's just an 8 core cpu and with the new consoles being 8c/16thread systems I do not see it holding up. So the 9900k would be what you wanna go for but it's expensive

Just now, jaslion said:

Would suck to do as 2700 aud for a 9600k+2070 system already sounds like you got a bad deal on it and a upgrade would be another hit. But it wouldn't hurt. I cannot recommend a 9700k as it's just an 8 core cpu and with the new consoles being 8c/16thread systems I do not see it holding up. So the 9900k would be what you wanna go for but it's expensive

Ok, thanks a lot for your advice!

Really appreciated.

Cheers, Dr.

1 minute ago, WikiForce said:

6 core is always going to be better than a quadcore HT CPU because threads only make 25% improvement while real cores are like double the performance (4c/8t cpu vs 8c/8t) so going by that theory we can conclude 6c/6t should provide 50% more gaming performance and not to mention a 2 generation newer cpu so a reasonable amount of IPC increase and everywhere in benchmarks you can find it's certainly better

I'm not talking about max game performance I'm talking about stability, no stuttering and just general usage. The i5 is better I literally just said that. What the 8 threads does it allow the game to use it's desired amount of threads thus allowing it to run as intended. Yes the max fps will be lower but at least the game will run stably. We've seen this before with the 3100 and 3300x too where it was better to get those compared to a 3500x or the then 6 core i5's. The max fps will be lower but games that use over 6 threads will actually run fine compared to having issues on cpu's that have a lower core/thread count.

Again I'm not saying the 7700 has better raw performance I am saying it is better for this specific game due to this game NEEDING 8 threads it doesn't care if they are slower than actual cores it simply does not run well on anything below 8 threads (that aren't ya know super weak but that is a bit a given in this context)