Ryzen Memory OC Noob requesting OC Review/Advice

15 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

If it becomes unstable, then add a little more maybe 1.1250v. You're not running tight enough timings to be over 1.2v at all. If you where aiming CL14 to CL12, then maybe yeah, I could see the use for it. 

Temps are good. High temp alert, the cpu at stock values is 70c. Your Cpu fan would be at 100% rpm. In bios you will only have a 5 degree increase on that temp threshold. So you can raise the Fan 100% spin up to 75c and that's all. That only gives you 15c headroom before throttle on a transistor rich processor. 

From any kind of experience with Zen chips, be first release to now, the cooler they run, the less voltage they leak. The less voltage they leak, the less voltage needed to run the chip. And then naturally will boost higher even with PBO on auto. I first experienced this with a R3 1200. On my Geothermal loop, it pinned all cores to it's XFR boost clocks lol. Not that it's some great accomplishment with PBO off, but could not replicate this with the stock cooler. 

So the idea is to use the minimum amount of voltage to produce the least amount of heat and go for efficiency. 50mhz is not a big loss if you can shave 10c off.

The one issue I did find through any kind of fun testing, sub ambient to sub zero, is that any kind of ambient cooling doesn't keep most of these chips below 60c where you'd want to take advantage of PBO or CPB or on Asus ROG Performance Enhancer levels. 

81c with Cinebench isn't bad. 9c headroom before throttle point. This temp will be higher with Prime95 AVX no doubt. You can quick runs with Intel Burn Test as well. That one produced some good heat too.

I dropped the voltage on the SOC as you said and just for kicks tried setting the timings to 14,15,15,15 because getting 16,15,15,15 when I set 15,15,15,15 was messing with me. Funny enough perfectly stable with that one tighter timing.

Honestly I'm going to put OC'ing back in the box for now. My H100i's keeping the R9-5900x under control, the 2000Mhz CL19 kit of RAM is holding at 1,900 14,15,15,15 and all of the gamed that had been CPU bottlenecked on my 7700k are no very much GPU limited. No complaints.

Thank you for your advice. As I said before I've got OC experience with Intel and older AMD CPU's but no experience with Memory OC and Timing. This has been a learning experience. I will no doubt revisit this at a later date as I'm still waiting for a stable UEFI update with the new AGESA but until then I'm done.