Help me please

Light-Yagami

Hi,

I would like to run OBS with dGPU ONLY. OBS somehow still uses iGPU even when I do everything in my power to not let it do anything. It makes the system chuggy, and all system animations slow down to what seems like 10fps. (especially switching between different desktops) On a $3000 Dell XPS 9700. 

I'm currently attending all my classes from home, and the system really doesn't like to stream the session, record with OBS, and have multiple programs actively used + 3gb worth of MS Edge tabs in the background. I usually have Handbrake running too. I would like to offload more of my computational work to dGPU (rtx 2060max-q), because it's just sitting there doing nothing while iGPU is literally burning. 

Any suggestions are appreciated. Take me as a very experienced windows user, so don't shy away from more advanced solutions. 

Cheers

Is your encoder set to NVENC? That will make it run on the GPU.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Is your encoder set to NVENC? That will make it run on the GPU.

OBS is run on dGPU from the start, and I'm encoding with it. Since display capture doesn't work on dGPU, I have to use app capture or window capture. I use Nvenc, of course. But with all that, somehow iGPU still does all the screen composition crap. And pegs it at 70-90% when I'm also streaming a class session. It's infuriating. I'm not even running the program with it. I swear, these passthrough connections from dGPU through iGPU to the display have to end. I'm so over it.

2 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

OBS is run on dGPU from the start, and I'm encoding with it. Since display capture doesn't work on dGPU, I have to use app capture or window capture. I use Nvenc, of course. But with all that, somehow iGPU still does all the screen composition crap. And pegs it at 70-90% when I'm also streaming a class session. It's infuriating. I'm not even running the program with it. I swear, these passthrough connections from dGPU through iGPU to the display have to end. I'm so over it.

It's possible that's normal behaviour and you can't do anything about it, but take that with a grain of salt as I don't have a ton of OBS experience.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

So you're doing all this just to record the classes you're attending? What software are you using that doesn't have session recording?

2 minutes ago, bit said:

So you're doing all this just to record the classes you're attending? What software are you using that doesn't have session recording?

They don't record it. And even when they do, it's only online for a couple of days, then gets deleted for space preservation.

Our school wasn't prepared for online courses at all. Online classroom is crashing as it is..

2 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

What happens if you disable your iGPU?

There's no direct connection from dGPU to the laptop screen, there would just be no picture. I would need to use a secondary monitor and enable direct passthrough in bios. Which I could do, but I won't. Because then I could just use my desktop PC instead.

Just now, Light-Yagami said:

They don't record it. And even when they do, it's only online for a couple of days, then gets deleted for space preservation.

Our school wasn't prepared for online courses at all. Online classroom is crashing as it is..

damn that's fucked up sorry bro

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

It's possible that's normal behaviour and you can't do anything about it, but take that with a grain of salt as I don't have a ton of OBS experience.

I just want to take strain off the iGPU so my desktop environment doesn't completely die. 

Just as a side note, is it also chugging when just recording your class instead of blasting it with multiple heavy tasks? Maybe it's just a bit too much for it.

I only use it for Zoom meetings really and on Linux, but perhaps you can try setting OBS to "high performance" in Windows: https://obsproject.com/wiki/Laptop-GPU-Selection-Windows-10

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB