Ive hit a memory snag

Ruffleduffle
Go to solution Solved by boggy77,

try with:

ram frequency: 2667

dram voltage: 1.35

SOC voltage: 1.1

I upgraded my rig not to long ago to a ryzen 5 1600af on a Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 with a 2x8 3200mhz aegis kit from gskill (i know the ram is faster than the cpu or mobo supports, but the price was identical so i got the faster one anyways) then a couple of days ago i decided, that i wanted 32gb of memory and went and bought another the same ram kit again and populated the remaining dimm slots. Now Windows refuses to boot, spitting out Bsods when booting up or right after teh login screen. It even wont start the ISO from a thumbdrive. I have tested all teh ram sticks and all dimm slots on the mobo, every possible combination of one and two sticks works, just not any more than two at teh same time. I know that the cpu only supports dual channel memory, but that should prohibit me from populating more than two slots, should it?

I also made shure that all memory is recognized in bios and runs at the correct speed as specified in the mobos manual.

22 minutes ago, Ruffleduffle said:

mobos manual.

Are you doing that via XMP? If so, turn that off and try again

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Are you doing that via XMP? If so, turn that off and try again

xmp is off

Just now, Ruffleduffle said:

xmp is off

Hmm okay, because that causes more issues than it seems to solve.

Does your board support lowering the RAM speed? Move it down step by step (if it does, that is) and see what happens

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Hmm okay, because that causes more issues than it seems to solve.

Does your board support lowering the RAM speed? Move it down step by step (if it does, that is) and see what happens

its already running at 1800 for all four dimms, but i havent tried that yet, ima get back to you

its already running at 1800 for all four dimms, but i havent tried that yet, ima get back to you

Yeah give it a swing, let me know, the next step would be undervolting the RAM, and that's out of my area of expertise

32 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yeah give it a swing, let me know, the next step would be undervolting the RAM, and that's out of my area of expertise

ive checked and 1866 is lowest it will go

12 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

try with:

what is the basis for these values? did you have similar issues?

what is the basis for these values? did you have similar issues?

generally the first zen generations support 2933 with 2 sticks and 2667 with 4 sticks. the voltage values help with stability. I've had similar issues on my 2600x, yes, but many other poeple as well. any ram overclocking guide will advise you to use similar values.

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

generally the first zen generations support 2933 with 2 sticks and 2667 with 4 sticks. the voltage values help with stability. I've had similar issues on my 2600x, yes, but many other poeple as well. any ram overclocking guide will advise you to use similar values.

ok, thank you, i will try that soon

55 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

try with:

these seetings got windows to boot, do you recommend to use the calculator now that i can boot all four dimms? I am not looking for better performance unless i am leaving heaps on the table by not gettinf into the nitty-gritty of ram settings. I am pretty stoked on just being able to boot the system

18 minutes ago, Ruffleduffle said:

these seetings got windows to boot, do you recommend to use the calculator now that i can boot all four dimms? I am not looking for better performance unless i am leaving heaps on the table by not gettinf into the nitty-gritty of ram settings. I am pretty stoked on just being able to boot the system

up to you. if you have time and you like tinkering with your settings, now that you have found something that works you can start to see how far you can push it using the calculator. if you don't care and just want something that works, keep it as it is.

Just now, boggy77 said:

up to you. if you have time and you like tinkering with your settings, now that you have found something that works you can start to see how far you can push it using the calculator. if you don't care and just want something that works, keep it as it is.

i think i will stick with a setting that works since ive already rma'ed this mobo because it completly bricked when adjusting memory speed. Thank you for your input, greatly appreciated