First post,question on eGPU

toradoev

Hello everyone I'm a new user on this forum and this is my first post :D

I have an old acer aspire 5750z laptop which had an intel pentium b960 (awful cpu) and 6gb ram. I've upgraded it to an i7 2630QM and added a SSD.

Messed its plastic shell really bad while dissasembling for paste change (trial and error,checked youtube after breaking the plastic xD). Might upload some photos.

Anyways, I was wondering which is the most powerful GPU I could use on it without being bottlenecked by any other component such as the CPU or the pci express(?) which I plan to use with one of those cheap chinese gpu docks in the wifi card slot.

I currently own a gtx 750ti oc 2gb ddr5,should I use it for the build or get rid of it and get something more powerful?

Anybody done this on this laptop model? Suggestions on which chinese gpu dock to buy?

Extra details:

Back in the day somewhere around 2013 my father bought this laptop I'm telling you about for around 100€ second hand so we could have a second machine at home for homework,some games etc since our desktop was really old.

Last year I decided to do some upgrades and I spent around 20€ for the i7 2630QM chip and another 30€ for some old-ass 1 core CPU laptop. I bought it to salvage it's samsung evo 860 ssd :D

I also bought the 750ti for around 50€ for a project which I gave up on.

So overall I've spent around 200€ for the laptop,gpu,ssd and cpu,and I have an extra old laptop for sale/throw away.Only missing the gpu dock which costs another +-30€. Rounding up to 230€ for a cheap fun "gaming" project.

Thanks!

First:
Are your temps fine?
Typically a laptop with a crap CPU is designed for that CPU, as they typically output a lot less heat.

Second:

This laptop might not have a PCIe slot.

elephants

19 minutes ago, toradoev said:

... I plan to use with one of those cheap chinese gpu docks in the wifi card slot.

Sounds sketchy as hell. Would not recommend, especially on such an old machine.

Why not just use your system as-is, or build a new system? Even a low-end modern APU build (~$400) will outperform your Frankenstein's monster of a laptop.

30 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

First:
Are your temps fine?
Typically a laptop with a crap CPU is designed for that CPU, as they typically output a lot less heat.

Second:

This laptop might not have a PCIe slot.

Actually you got me there. I used to (try) playing league of legends on that old b960 and it would run for a few minutes then overheat and shutdown. Haven't tried playing anything on it for years,even after the cpu upgrade since i got better machines to play on. I guess the i7 would shutdown even faster. Or maybe the b960 was just faulty?

And about the PCIe slot, I thought the slot for the wifi card was called PCIe (in fact 2.0 for this laptop)?

I'm not as wise as I expect you forum people to be so forgive my stupidity :S.

28 minutes ago, alabistyr said:

Sounds sketchy as hell. Would not recommend, especially on such an old machine.

Why not just use your system as-is, or build a new system? Even a low-end modern APU build (~$400) will outperform your Frankenstein's monster of a laptop.

I currently own a 1 year old hp pavilion for gaming, just wanted to do something with the old one for fun/experimenting.

Specs are i7 9750h,gtx 1650 mobile, 8gb ddr4 ram  and 512gb ssd 

Older laptops with WiFi cards used a different slot that was huge. No idea if it was PCIe, PCI, or some other standard, but if it's that weird slot it might not work.

Typically the WiFi card is easy to access.

elephants

4 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Older laptops with WiFi cards used a different slot that was huge. No idea if it was PCIe, PCI, or some other standard, but if it's that weird slot it might not work.

Typically that was mini-PCIe, it's physically different but electrically the same as PCIe x1 + USB I think. Modern laptops tend to use M.2 A/E key, which is essentially the same connectivity.

3 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I've taken the laptop apart a few times but the thing is I can't tell what's the connection for the wifi card since I'm not experienced/don't know enough, and couldn't find information online.

Laptop model is from 2011 if i recall correctly : https://icecat.biz/en/p/acer/lx.rl902.036/aspire-notebooks-5750z-4879-12362634.html

Read OP again,added some extra info.