Killing PSU and 2 CPUs - No Clue why - PLS Help bevor another dies

toni2
Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,
22 hours ago, toni2 said:

Thank you for answering again

1st CPU died with HX, second with AX and new MB (and took the AX with it)

so I checked. behind the mainboard (and back plate) everything is clear. on the part where the CPU is there is a cutout in the cases backplate. I routed a USB cable (isolated) from the AIO through there and the 2x 8 pin CPU power. They are also heavily shielded. The only thing that could cause a circuit could be the fan power cables from the AIO. They were still bound together by those small wire things (with a bit metal inside and covered in plastic). they could have fallen over and caused it.

it sound improbable but definitely possible.

Thanks

**I mean with routed behind the CPU, that the cables just got there between backplate/backplate free area and outer case door. I didn't squeeze anything between MB and backplate .. that would be horrible

*** edit 2: Added a photo. PSU cable already out of the case

IMG_20201125_211558.jpg

Sorry for getting back to you late, as I did not receive a message that you quoted me by replying back to my post. Your reaction to my post was the only thing that made me acknowledge you were still here. 

For the fan cables, they should be shielded enough that unless you see a break in the sheathing of the cable, there shouldn't be an issue at all. The EPS (CPU) cables shouldn't be broken at all and can't be the root of your problem unless again like the fan cables, if the cables sheathing is broken and shorting to the case, that would cause issues. I can't think of any other issues at all other than static electricity built up on the components.

Hi

So i've been building PC for years, but got to a problem where I just have no clue what's going on.

The Problem: Build a new PC (ryze5950; Crosshair VIII HERO Wifi; 4x16GB Gskill Triden neo Z; Corsair AIO; Phantek P600s, Corsair HX850i PSU; RTX 3080 TUF O10C; 2x SSD sata; 1NMVE Evo 980; 2x HDD). It worked fine for about. 2 Days. Then it died, after checking everything i knew it was CPU or Mainboard --> Mainboard got replaced --> Still not working --> bought a Ryzen 3400G to test CPU and use for a few weeks--> Worked --> send CPU back, retailer said it was faulty --> got my money back --> waited for ne Ryzen 9

In the meanwhile i noticed the PSU made a buzzing noice --> send it back and switcht to a Corsair AX850. --> all was ok

So at this point the mainboard, CPU, PSU are changed, but the CPU and Mainbaord were used with the maybe faulty psu --> But everything seemed fine with new PSU

Today it died again. Trying to turn it on gives like 1/2 sek fanspinn and turns off. Tested the PSU in an old system --> same behavior (let it rest for bout 30 min to be sure overcurrent protection not triggered anymore). Its dead Jim
Searched my old PSU (8 Year old AX 850) to check ne new pc. --> I get fanspin but doesn't boot --> Mainboard Error LED for CPU is on --> I killed another CPU :(

The retailler will give me a new PSU and an new CPU but:

MY Question. What the fuck is killing my CPUs and maybe PSU. Bad Luck? Do I miss somenthing? The PC is used with the same stuff (DAC, Monitor, Keyboard etc)i used on my old PC for years. Can some part kill my CPU and/or PSU. never heared that memory killed something. Or can some of the Sata power kabel kill all this stuff? I dont want to fry another CPU

Living in a 230V Area (Switzerland). House electronic is not the most modern, but has modern fuses. Only save for 10A. Between wall socket and pc are some extra "adapters" from Swiss to german Plug (common here), with additional fuse for 10A. Sadly have to put more everything on one wall socket (2 PC, 5 Monitors, Speakes (350W), but has been fine for 4 Years. Also while it died, only on pc was on, so no probs there.

IF anyone can help Thx

sorry for long post

Welcome to the forums!!!

15 minutes ago, toni2 said:

MY Question. What the fuck is killing my CPUs and maybe PSU. Bad Luck? Do I miss something?

IMO, I feel like the mainboard is defective on the voltage regulation side and sending 12V to the CPU and insta-killing it upon startup. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

Welcome to the forums!!!

IMO, I feel like the mainboard is defective on the voltage regulation side and sending 12V to the CPU and insta-killing it upon startup. 

Thanks for welcoming me.

Well i already changed it once oO. well i can send cpu, psu and mainboard (again) to the retailer

additional info: it died while using it. just turned off and was dead.

1 hour ago, toni2 said:

Thanks for welcoming me.

Well i already changed it once oO. well i can send cpu, psu and mainboard (again) to the retailer

additional info: it died while using it. just turned off and was dead.

Ok, so the first processor to die was while using a Corsair HX850i. Then, the second processor to die was while using a Corsair AX850. Are you sure there was nothing touching the back of the motherboard between the motherboard and the case just to rule out any short circuiting? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

jop 1st died with HX, second with AX and new MB (and took the AX with it)

so i checked. behind the mainboard (and back plate) everything is clear. on the part where the CPU is there is a cutout in the cases backplate. I routed on USB cable (isolated) from the AIO throught there and the 2x 8 pin CPU power. They are also heavily shilded. The only thing that could cause a circut could be the fan power cables from the AIO. They were still bound toughether by those small wirethings (with a bit metal inside and covered in plastik). they could have fallen over and caused it.

it sound unprobable but definitly possible.

Thanks

** i mean with routed behind the cpu, that the cables just got there between backplate/backplate free area and outer case door. i didn'T squeeze anything between MB and backplate .. that would be horrible

*** edit 2: Added a photo. PSU kabel already out of the case

IMG_20201125_211558.jpg

edit: i checked those little things. they are not really conductiv. The plastic covering isn't brocken. Checked visaully and with a multimeter. I hate my new pc

Lan cable? My two boards went dead just in few seconds and we suspected lan cable cuz when I bought Asus b360 h third time. Board would auto disconnect lan (Lan surge protection feature in ROG). If I were you I would look for Short and loose wires in case.

8 hours ago, ChuChu Train said:

Lan cable? My two boards went dead just in few seconds and we suspected lan cable cuz when I bought Asus b360 h third time. Board would auto disconnect lan (Lan surge protection feature in ROG). If I were you I would look for Short and loose wires in case.

Hey

Thanks for your answer. I already went through the whole case an checked for shorts everywhere (checked with the mulitmeter, if the ground pins on Case fans etc. are grounded and other stuff is not grounded)

Used the current Lan Calbe for 2 Years (and now again with the old PC), but will switch it also as soon as i get the new one back. Thanks for the tip

22 hours ago, toni2 said:

1st CPU died with HX, second with AX and new MB (and took the AX with it)

so I checked. behind the mainboard (and back plate) everything is clear. on the part where the CPU is there is a cutout in the cases backplate. I routed a USB cable (isolated) from the AIO through there and the 2x 8 pin CPU power. They are also heavily shielded. The only thing that could cause a circuit could be the fan power cables from the AIO. They were still bound together by those small wire things (with a bit metal inside and covered in plastic). they could have fallen over and caused it.

it sound improbable but definitely possible.

Thanks

**I mean with routed behind the CPU, that the cables just got there between backplate/backplate free area and outer case door. I didn't squeeze anything between MB and backplate .. that would be horrible

*** edit 2: Added a photo. PSU cable already out of the case

IMG_20201125_211558.jpg

Sorry for getting back to you late, as I did not receive a message that you quoted me by replying back to my post. Your reaction to my post was the only thing that made me acknowledge you were still here. 

For the fan cables, they should be shielded enough that unless you see a break in the sheathing of the cable, there shouldn't be an issue at all. The EPS (CPU) cables shouldn't be broken at all and can't be the root of your problem unless again like the fan cables, if the cables sheathing is broken and shorting to the case, that would cause issues. I can't think of any other issues at all other than static electricity built up on the components.

16 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Thanks for coming back. Will keep in mind to quote people.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. But that answer also helps in giving me confidence, that i've not gone mad. It seems as if i just hat increadible bad luck on components or some totaly wierd shit is going on with another component. But based on my experience of the last 15 Years I have never seen memory, fans, aio or a hdd/ssd fry a high quality PSU and CPU. Told my retailer, which parts are brocken and if he wants to change any other parts for safty reasons or wait for the (maybe) next fried cpu XD . All parts are from the same retailer so if one of the faulty parts he provided fries something else it's his problem.

Ty again for the sanity check