mx230 max ram

Dalli

Hi, I apologize in advance if this question is too dumb to answer.

So by googling the max ram for the mx230 I get 4gb, what I don't get is why A LOT of laptops have this gpu with 8gb of ram, that doesn't make sense, so what's the catch here?

Also is there some kind of bottle neck with a  i5-10210U (ACER ASPIRE 3 A315-52G) or a i7-10510U (ACER ASPIRE 3 A315-55G), because to me it seems like an entry level gpu with a high end cpu right ? 

Thanks in advance.

image.png.868b9af6b1c76219ab111560d86ecd12.png

I think your confusing vram and system ram. You can have upto 4gb of vram with that gpu, but you can have as much system ram as you want.

4 minutes ago, Dalli said:

Hi, I apologize in advance if this question is too dumb to answer.

So by googling the max ram for the mx230 I get 4gb, what I don't get is why A LOT of laptops have this gpu with 8gb of ram, that doesn't make sense, so what's the catch here?

Also is there some kind of bottle neck with a  i5-10210U (ACER ASPIRE 3 A315-52G) or a i7-10510U (ACER ASPIRE 3 A315-55G), because to me it seems like an entry level gpu with a high end cpu right ? 

Thanks in advance.

image.png.868b9af6b1c76219ab111560d86ecd12.png

Your probably thinking of VRAM vs RAM. The GPU itself has 4GB of VRAM (RAM dedicated for the GPU) and 8GB of system RAM. 

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Oh I see because I honestly didn't expected it to have 4gb of vram, also the google result shouldn't be like that or am I wrong again ? ._.

How about the bottle neck problem, is there none ?

And should I delete this post later ?

5 minutes ago, Dalli said:

Oh I see because I honestly didn't expected it to have 4gb of vram, also the google result shouldn't be like that or am I wrong again ? ._.

How about the bottle neck problem, is there none ?

And should I delete this post later ?

Well your googled the max ram for the gpu, if you wanted to see the max ram for the laptop, id google the laptop model instead.

If your goal is to play games, stay away from this gpu its pretty slow. Id probably get a laptop with the xe graphics or amd apu instead, or go to a gtx 1650 or above if you want better gaming performance.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well your googled the max ram for the gpu, if you wanted to see the max ram for the laptop, id google the laptop model instead.

If your goal is to play games, stay away from this gpu its pretty slow. Id probably get a laptop with the xe graphics or amd apu instead, or go to a gtx 1650 or above if you want better gaming performance.

Thanks, no its not for gaming it's for my mom, teacher who might use some solidworks.

1 hour ago, Dalli said:

Thanks, no its not for gaming it's for my mom, teacher who might use some solidworks.

Id still get one of the other options, those low end gpus make almost no sense on laptop.