Psu fried

Garretwg
Go to solution Solved by prod.blxr,

What is the exact PSU model?

And also all other components + case if you are able to give us the details?

Last night i turned on my brand new pc I just built less than a month ago and it immediately shut back off followed with smoke out the back. I pulled the psu out and smelt it to see if that’s what made the smoke it it smelt burned. It was a 700w psu and if I get a new one what would it have to be to prevent this from happening again and is everything else fryed too? Help!

2 minutes ago, Garretwg said:

is everything else fryed too?

1) you'll find out when you buy another psu

2) probably not

get a new psu. if you can borrow another one, just power on your system to make sure everything or mostly everything isnt dead or not

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

17 minutes ago, Garretwg said:

is everything else fryed too?

Only one way to find out

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

58 minutes ago, prod.blxr said:

Neo eco hood zen 700w psu, ryzen 7 3700x CPU, GeForce rtx 2060 super founders edition gpu. Case is a nzxt h510 elite, mother board is a b550 pro4

11 minutes ago, Garretwg said:

Neo eco hood zen 700w psu, ryzen 7 3700x CPU, GeForce rtx 2060 super founders edition gpu. Case is a nzxt h510 elite, mother board is a b550 pro4

PSU seemed to be fine.

Have you had any overclocks with your CPU, GPU or RAM? Ever your OC's were unstable and crashed? You keep them at the highest OC settings which is stable? 

But yo, PSU might be faulty from factory or another thing.

PSU exploded in.. startup? Hm. No active OC in start up, no chance itll cause it anyway.

I bet its only the PSU, so get a decent GPU again. If you're not going to upgrade further, you can stick to 650W 80+ Bronze kind of value/performance PSU. Or even 550W. 

Anyway, if the problem is not the PSU.. hm. I'm not experienced with PSU's exploding or any serious accidents in new PC builds, mine ones always work fine. Though my old PC had its mobo burned a few times, was cheap af anyway. 

If youre sure its PSU which burned, get a new PSU. If youre not, and you have any chance to test with another PSU, test it. Might be the mobo or GPU or CPU as well, though I place my bet on mobo or gpu if thats the case. I dont think CPU is the one that burned. Oof. Like an among us game, theres an impostor there. I'm not the most experienced with these stuff fam, thats too over electrical knowledge of me. I casually build myself best value-performance PC's and also for my friends, and a young mind too curious studying science, and tech stuff. All from me is, find a way to test with another PSU and find a way or buy a new PSU if you cant, or if you are sure its the PSU. Find the impostor, and replace it with a decent part my guy.

How is another question a BEST Solution...LAUGHABLE. 🤣🤣🤣

22 minutes ago, Gorilla Warfare said:

How is another question a BEST Solution...LAUGHABLE. 🤣🤣🤣

Never used stack exchange frequently I see.