Cooler for 5600x

Narta

Hey, 

I bought R5 5600x with MSI B550 Gaming Edge mobo, I am currently in NZXT S340 Elite case from last build, which will probably change in some time. I plan on overclocking and I like my PC silent so I am looking for aftermarket cooler as I don't consider the Wraith adequate (and my old Cooler is being sold with 6600k). 

The problem is that there is somewhat limited offer of coolers on our market, I can get:

Dark Rock 4 - 79$

Dark Rock Pro 4 - 90$

Noctua NH-U12S - 90$

Noctua NH-U9S - 90$

Dark Rock Slim - 70$ (but unavailable at this time)

and I cannot really go below that - there is a gap down to roughly 50$ with mostly silly RGB/older CPU coolers which I would like to avoid. 

Considering the prices and the fact that I have 4 RAM sticks (effectively disqualifying Dark Rock 4) I tend to go for the Dark Rock Pro 4 even though I believe I can just leave the cooler to run on lowest possible RPM even when torture testing the CPU.. Noctuas would be more suited for my CPU, but considering the same price I don't see any benefit of those coolers. 

Am I missing something or does my reasoning make sense? 

Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, Narta said:

Considering the prices and the fact that I have 4 RAM sticks (effectively disqualifying Dark Rock 4) I tend to go for the Dark Rock Pro 4 even though I believe I can just leave the cooler to run on lowest possible RPM even when torture testing the CPU.. Noctuas would be more suited for my CPU, but considering the same price I don't see any benefit of those coolers. 

I don't really get what you mean here. You can move up on the Dark Rock 4 just like you can on the Dark Rock Pro 4, and I don't see what makes the Noctua coolers "more suited for your CPU".

Regardless, $90 sounds like too much for the U12S, and even more so for the U9S. Considering that, I'd get the Dark Rock 4, or the Pro if you don't mind the bulkiness.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

9 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I don't really get what you mean here. You can move up on the Dark Rock 4 just like you can on the Dark Rock Pro 4, and I don't see what makes the Noctua coolers "more suited for your CPU".

Regardless, $90 sounds like too much for the U12S, and even more so for the U9S. Considering that, I'd get the Dark Rock 4, or the Pro if you don't mind the bulkiness.

What I meant by "Noctuas are more suited" - I consider the DRs to be more of an "overkill" for 5600x than Noctuas, nothing else

Yep, for example NH-D15 costs around 50% more than DR Pro 4 here (even though they are roughly equal elsewhere)

1 minute ago, Narta said:

What I meant by "Noctuas are more suited" - I consider the DRs to be more of an "overkill" for 5600x than Noctuas, nothing else

Hm, I mean per dollar in your case, I guess. The DRP4 is much closer to an NH-D15 than it is to a U12S.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

If that's the only selection available, you might as well go for the DRP4 since it's not that much more expensive. 

Where are you shopping / located?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.