Transferring data between two NVMe

yamakasin

Hi, I've recently run out of storage on my little 500GB M.2 NVMe which is the only drive in my system. I've ordered a new 1T NVMe as a replacement as I'm planning to pass on the old 500GB to my brother who doesn't have one.

I've never done it before, so what would be the best way to copy all the files? Since I have two M.2 slots in my motherboard, I think the best way would be to plug in both and transfer the files using cloning software? The main thing I'm afraid of is corrupting Windows files. Is there a safe method, or would it be wiser to do a fresh install and then copy the files manually?

Macrium Reflect will do a direct disk to disk clone and is free.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Install both drives, clone the old drive to the new, reboot and change your boot priority to the new drive and then extend the partition to fill the new drive.

Personally I'd use a live Linux distro and just use DD to clone the old drive to the new.