Laptop RTX 2060 (Regular) vs 2070 (Max-Q)

emkirsh

Blade 15 GPU choice  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Should I get the RTX 2060 (laptop) or the RTX 2070 MAX-Q (laptop)

• 2070 Max-Q

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on Nov 22, 2020 at 05:00 PM

Hey there! I am going to be buying a Razer Blade 15" laptop (unless you think another one would be better) and I'm stuck between the RTX 2060 1080p/144hz model and the RTX 2070 Max-Q 1080p/144hz model. 

I want a good battery life that can last as long as possible when I'm not gaming, but also the gaming performance to be good enough to run games with RTX ON at a decent FPS (40+ minimum, 60+ ideally) when plugged in. I've heard mixed opinions, with some saying that the regular 2060 is better on the battery because it's less powerful, and others saying that the max-q design of the 2070 makes it just as good on the battery while being more powerful than the 2060. 

Obviously, the 2060 model is cheaper, so what I guess I'm really asking is if the 2070 max-q is worth the money over the (laptop) 2060 model, or if it's not worth the $200.

Thanks!

-emkirsh

Also, if you could explain why you voted how you did, it would be extremely helpful to me.

Thanks!

I own a Razer 15 with a 2060 in it, Early 2020 model. Off charge I can get around 3-4 hours doing light tasks like Youtube, general Internet browsing and document editing. Reviewers have stated that they can upwards of 6 six hours on a single charge and I have no idea how they're doing that honestly. Within the first 15min on battery I'm already at 94%, so yeah not sure if the Razer would be the best for pure battery life.

But on the plus side while gaming, plugged in at least, it can run just about every game I own with very passable framerates. I suppose the heaviest game I have is probably Farcry 5 where I manage 60+ frames so take that as you will. I think overall it's a solid machine, and I knew going in that battery life was pretty shit but I'm almost always close to an outlet so it wasn't a major concern. If you have more specific questions I'd be happy to answer as best as I can.

I voted for the 2060 simply because I assume with it being less powerful it would draw less juice. I base this on absolutely nothing except a hunch.

17 hours ago, emkirsh said:

nless you think another one would be better

Location? Budget? Preferred max weight and min battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

8 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Location? Budget? Preferred max weight and min battery life?

So, my ideal budget would be about $1700 but I'll spend up to $2000. My battery life needs to be able to handle school work (google docs, word, medium number of tabs) for a total of 4-6 hours unplugged. This would be on the integrated intel graphics, and I'm not talking about gaming here, I know that the dGPU uses more battery. I'm not too concerned about weight because it would typically be on a desk. I'd like to stay under 5 lbs if possible. I'm aware that 4-6 hours may be too much to ask for some, but my brother has the blade 15 with 2070 max-q and he says the battery is great. The other ones I was thinking about was the Alienware m15 R3 or Dell G5/G7 but I hear the battery is shit. Lemme know if you need more info. Thanks a ton!

-emkirsh

On 11/22/2020 at 12:09 PM, emkirsh said:

My battery life needs to be able to handle school work (google docs, word, medium number of tabs) for a total of 4-6 hours unplugged

Then don't bother with the Razer, it won't last you near that long. You can try something like the G14 from Asus, that one is supposed to be great on battery and yet be very decent at gaming as well.

Amazon.com: ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 14" VR Ready 120Hz FHD Gaming Laptop,8Core AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS(Beat i7-10750H),16GB RAM,1TB PCIe SSD,Backlight,Wi-Fi 6,USB C,NVIDIA GeForce RTX2060 Max-Q,Win10 (Moonlight White): Computers & Accessories