AMI Bios confusing beep codes.

ozzpala
Got a reoccurring persistent issue. 1 long beep followed by 3 short and no display. This has happened on and off for a while however in the process I’ve upgraded the whole system and I’m still getting the issue. It isn’t consistent randomly happens on boot up. If it doesn’t boot and beeps its normally fixed by powering it off and restarting and it works fine. Taking the gpu cables out gives the same beeps however I’ve got an AMI bios so I’m confused as to why one long beep followed by 3 short leads to gpu issues. This code on AMI points towards RAM.

Ive tried 2 different types of ram so I'm fairly confident this isn't the issue.

Any reason why an AMI Bios would Beep 1 long and 3 short when GPU cables arent plugged in as I think the issue is linked to the gpu due to no display. Think my issues stems from a faulty GPU cable however just trying to get my head around the codes.

Specs
Ryzen 5 3600
RAM Corsair vengeance 3600mhz
Gigabyte b550i
Gigabyte 5700xt

My board is having issues with XMP and voltage and turning it off solved the issue so I’m wanting to achieve the desired speeds manually I understand my timings however I’m struggling with TRC default it is set to 61 however if I remember correctly XMP changed it to 64 so I’m unsure which to use. Obviously wouldn’t be enabling xmp so thinking to use it at 61-62

tcl + tras for the trc 

Settings looks like this 

Tcl 18
Trcdrd. 22
Trcdwr. 22
Trp. 22
Tras. 42

trc 62

And I’ll leave the rest on auto I’m only wanting advertised speeds 

Voltage 1.35

Had a slight issue with the voltage as 1.35 reports as 1.404 minor discrepancy however 1.29 reports at 1.35v. Unsure weather to leave it at the 1.404 or set it to the correct 1.35

Many thanks for the help

Bios emits one long beep and 3 short without a gpu plugged in however on AMI I thought this was linked to a ram issue? Only ask as I thought I had a ram issue as it was beeping when everything was plugged in however was trouble shooting and booted without gpu and it emitted the same sounds ? 

motherboard is a gigabyte b550i

- I combined your 3 threads together here for ease of information. 

The beep codes are memory related, I assume you get the beeps when enable XMP??

When you get the beeps, do you clear the cmos to post again?

You can try, enable XMP, but manually set the memory to 3200mhz and see if it posts. 

@ShrimpBrime many thanks for that. Bios beeps seem to be linked to xmp yes. With regards to it posting it emits the beeps and no display is given so I have to hard reset the pc then boots fine. Only seems to do this issue when the pc has been left off for a while. Just seem to be running into a brick wall with it

replaced and tested most of the pc everything is seated fine and I’m pretty confident it’s non of the hardware which leads me to thinking it’s something to do with xmp I may be wrong.

ive memory test however that came back clean 

33 minutes ago, ozzpala said:

@ShrimpBrime many thanks for that. Bios beeps seem to be linked to xmp yes. With regards to it posting it emits the beeps and no display is given so I have to hard reset the pc then boots fine. Only seems to do this issue when the pc has been left off for a while. Just seem to be running into a brick wall with it

replaced and tested most of the pc everything is seated fine and I’m pretty confident it’s non of the hardware which leads me to thinking it’s something to do with xmp I may be wrong.

ive memory test however that came back clean 

OK, so for the processor, the memory controller supports up to 3200mhz (1600mhz effective if looking at Cpu-Z for example) 

Beyond 3200mhz, is overclocking and results vary. It just happens to be that your hardware is limited to a lower frequency. 

So, my recommendation is to try a lower speed. Even if it's only able to run say 2933mhz (for example), this is still an 800mhz overclock.