Logitech C920 webcam perplexing problem

kramertorium

I recently switched PCs, and now my Logitech C920 webcam is behaving oddly. Using OBS for testing, the camera works reliably at 720p @ 25 fps, but when I set it to the normal 30 fps it drops to a few fps and stutters and lags. Totally unusable. At 1080, regardless of frame rate, it just freezes. At all times the system resources are barely utilized, and I confirmed the various USB ports I tried all work fine. The installed webcam driver is the generic Microsoft driver. (Note: It's not just OBS, the same problems are present in Zoom and Logitech's own Capture software)

The camera works fine on another PC I have in the house, even at 1080p@30fps; both PCs are of similar specs and are both on the latest update of Windows.

Attached is a very ugly video of a very tired me showing the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, this has been a frustrating day of futile troubleshooting.

For poops and giggles I tried iVcam which turns an android phone into a webcam, and it works fine at 1080p@30fps. It's just this PC combined with this Logitech webcam that's problematic, it seems.

It gets weirder: I did a clean windows 10 install from scratch and only installed Intel's INF drivers, NVidia's display drivers, and OBS. Same problem. Could it really be a motherboard bug? It's a Gigabyte B460M DS3H

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the bump, but did you ever manage to fix this? It seems we are the only two people on the internet with this very specific issue.

I had a similar issue a while back, I think it was just a setting that had to be changed as I was playing with mics at the time and there was a conflict with the built in mic and a windows setting.  

Unfortunately, I can't remember what exactly. 

dude, I have exactly the same problem... did you fix it? I'm so frustrated, cuz i tried everything and nothing changes

• 4 months later...

Hi kramertorium, I've a i5-10600K + B460M DS3H with a C920 and I got a similar issue. But in my case it's flicking and some green part of the video in OBS.

I saw your message in Gygabyte forum and I downloaded the USBView getting the same results, 4 ports with yellow alert.

Additionally, I tested a USB HDMI Sticket using a DSLR camera and I got the same issue. It seems to be a lack of bandwidth to support video stream.

No fix so far, but I want to thank you to share with many details your problem. 

• 2 weeks later...

I found it!!!!

I've opened a ticket in Gygabyte support and they asked to change the BIOS setting bellow:

BIOS > SETTING > Platform Power > Platform Power Management > Make it DISABLE

It worked! I finally can use the C920 with 1920x1080 without any problem.

Hope it helps you.

Cheers.

• 4 months later...
On 6/1/2021 at 5:59 PM, Tigerush said:

I found it!!!!

I've opened a ticket in Gygabyte support and they asked to change the BIOS setting bellow:

BIOS > SETTING > Platform Power > Platform Power Management > Make it DISABLE

It worked! I finally can use the C920 with 1920x1080 without any problem.

Hope it helps you.

Cheers.

Legend. This worked brilliantly. Thank you.