Selecting Cablemod cables for Ion + 860w

FeIIex
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
13 minutes ago, FeIIex said:

Went off the PSU tier list, it was the highest ranked that was in stock and not over 300 CAD

Ok.  The Fractal PSU is made by High Power.  And unlike a lot of the more common brands, the pinout doesn't follow a common pinout.  e.g.  It's not the same as Corsair, Seasonic, etc.

And extensions are a bad idea because they add another 30 to 45cm of cable that adds resistance, as well as the additional connector, and needs to be hidden inside an already small case.

I have a Meshify C and trust me, it's not easy to jam that much cable behind the motherboard.

Not sure why PSUs are over 300 CAD up North.  Though 860W is probably way more power than you need too.  

Down here (U.S.) you can get a Corsair RM850x or Seasonic Focus 650W for less than $230 (which is about 300 CAD).

Either of those you can also get custom cables for pretty easily.

Mobo: B550 Tomahawk

Psu: Fractal Design Ion+ 860 W

Gpu: 6900 xt (probably, has two 8 pin connectors)

Edit: Case is Meshify C

PSU has already been purchased and is here, but there are no direct replacement cables offered by cablemod for this model. Extensions would be the easiest route, but there is no avaibility for the Carbon variant, and I am unsure if direct replacements would be better. I am a complete newb when it comes to custom cables, and would like some advice.

Do any of the pre-existing replacement kits work with Ion +? I.e Cablemod C series

If not, is this selection of extensions compatible with the parts mentioned above? (And to double check that I am not missing anything)

1x
24 Pin ATX Extension (30 cm)

1x
8 Pin EPS Extension (45 cm)

2x
8 Pin PCI-E Extension (45 cm)

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Pizza is the best food group

3 hours ago, FeIIex said:

PSU has already been purchased and is here

The return it.

Did you get it because you got a Fractal case and figured that was the way to go?

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

The return it.

Did you get it because you got a Fractal case and figured that was the way to go?

Went off the PSU tier list, it was the highest ranked that was in stock and not over 300 CAD

13 minutes ago, FeIIex said:

Ok.  The Fractal PSU is made by High Power.  And unlike a lot of the more common brands, the pinout doesn't follow a common pinout.  e.g.  It's not the same as Corsair, Seasonic, etc.

And extensions are a bad idea because they add another 30 to 45cm of cable that adds resistance, as well as the additional connector, and needs to be hidden inside an already small case.

I have a Meshify C and trust me, it's not easy to jam that much cable behind the motherboard.

Not sure why PSUs are over 300 CAD up North.  Though 860W is probably way more power than you need too.  

Down here (U.S.) you can get a Corsair RM850x or Seasonic Focus 650W for less than $230 (which is about 300 CAD).

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Alrighty I can live without the custom cables, thanks for the insight!

Mid tier PSU's go for around 130 CADish for a 550w unit, I got my 860w for 180. Higher end units are usually not that much more, but due to the pandemic, everything has gone up unfortunately.

22 minutes ago, FeIIex said:

Alrighty I can live without the custom cables, thanks for the insight!

Mid tier PSU's go for around 130 CADish for a 550w unit, I got my 860w for 180. Higher end units are usually not that much more, but due to the pandemic, everything has gone up unfortunately.

You checked Newegg.ca too? 

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

You checked Newegg.ca too? 

At the time of purchase, yep. I got my unit from there