audio adjusting software for hearing impaired

whoknows472

Hello all,

So due to my job working around aircraft I have a little bit of hearing loss. Just enough for me to lose detail and some directional cues from my gaming headset. I recently discovered a Samsung app on android that was able to compensate for my hearing loss and apply changes to things like Spotify and Youtube to the point it made a significant difference and really improved my enjoyment. I was always curious as to how these big time gamers could use gaming headsets to hear which direction gunfire or certain sounds were coming from and yet I had a terrible time noticing the difference. I just thought I had crap hearing or a brain that couldn't pick up on the subtleties. Does anyone know of decent software on PC that can test my hearing and then apply amplification on certain frequencies so that I get a fuller audio experience? or do I just need to do things old school/manual way and test and tune my equalizer?

The better thing to do would be to get a hearing test done. This will tell you where your hearing is not as good and then you can easily adjust a EQ or left right mix to match those changes.

In the UK many places do hearing tests from your doctor to private places like Boots and Spec Savers who may try to sell you a hearing aid.

If you google search online hearing test you can do so basic ones online. What they will do is turn the volume up on different frequencies and once you hear it you click a button. They also play different voices and words as well but thats probably not the best test for you. That will give a rough hearing frequncy response for your ears.

But getting a professional test done will make a big difference.

Some audio drivers in the PC have EQ options if you right click your sound device and the configure option is available its normally in there.

Otherwise there is a handful of software. Have a look at this
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-sound-equalizers/

• 2 weeks later...

I've had many hearing tests done and understand that i can use to tweak an equalizer however i was looking for something that kind of combines the two. Reason being is every headset or speaker system as well as equalizer is a little different. Essentially I was looking for software that can configure my equalizer to match my equipment to me. Would really be useful when upgrading headsets and what not

2 hours ago, whoknows472 said:

I've had many hearing tests done and understand that i can use to tweak an equalizer however i was looking for something that kind of combines the two. Reason being is every headset or speaker system as well as equalizer is a little different. Essentially I was looking for software that can configure my equalizer to match my equipment to me. Would really be useful when upgrading headsets and what not

Yeah that would be epic, however I doubt that it's something that exists.  Reason I'm saying this is marginalized needs are often left by the wayside.  My friend is blind and screen reader software or rather it's accessibility to online content is rarely a consideration for most because it's such a small audience.  That's just my take in general on specific solutions like your talking about.

If anyone finds a solution to this please DM me or tag me here, I could use this for my father

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

5 hours ago, Psittac said:

Yeah that would be epic, however I doubt that it's something that exists.  Reason I'm saying this is marginalized needs are often left by the wayside.  My friend is blind and screen reader software or rather it's accessibility to online content is rarely a consideration for most because it's such a small audience.  That's just my take in general on specific solutions like your talking about.

If anyone finds a solution to this please DM me or tag me here, I could use this for my father

If your Dad likes to listen to music and has a Samsung phone there is an app called Sound Assistant which has sound profile options like what I've discussed. All you do is sit in a quiet room with your earphones plugged in. Run the test and it tweaks everything for you. It's pretty awesome!