Is my motherboard I am using compatible with my monitor

As far as I'm aware, they are backwards compatible but limited by the weakest link. So it will work, but you will be unable to take advantage of any features that require a version later than 1.4

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

As far as I'm aware, they are backwards compatible but limited by the weakest link. So it will work, but you will be unable to take advantage of any features that require a version later than 1.4

good to know that kinda sucks

You can't use the video ports on the monitor, unless you managed to find someone selling a 4000 series APU on eBay. I still don't recall if there's explicit compatibility.

But the 3000 series APUs like the 3400G won't work in a B550 board so you can't use the HDMI ports.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, progamer21 said:

good to know that kinda sucks

If you’re using a dedicated graphics card, the HDMI of your motherboard won’t come into effect. Just plug the cable from the monitor into your graphics card.

Just now, Fasauceome said:

You can't use the video ports on the monitor, unless you managed to find someone selling a 4000 series APU on eBay. I still don't recall if there's explicit compatibility.

But the 3000 series APUs like the 3400G won't work in a B550 board so you can't use the HDMI ports.

im getting the 3600 and later a 5600 or 5600x

Just now, Qaeo said:

If you’re using a dedicated graphics card, the HDMI of your motherboard won’t come into effect. Just plug the cable from the monitor into your graphics card.

ok?

1 minute ago, progamer21 said:

im getting the 3600 and later a 5600 or 5600x

The 3600 and 5600 do not have GPUs, all motherboard video ports will be fully inactive.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Considering you’re getting the 3600 with no integrated graphics, you won’t be needing the HDMI of your motherboard. Whatever graphics card you decide on will definitely have an HDMI 2.0 or higher.

Just now, Fasauceome said:

The 3600 and 5600 do not have GPUs, all motherboard video ports will be fully inactive.

I am getting a 3070

Just now, Qaeo said:

Considering you’re getting the 3600 with no integrated graphics, you won’t be needing the HDMI of your motherboard. Whatever graphics card you decide on will definitely have an HDMI 2.0 or higher.

its a 3070

I am getting a 3070

The 3070 supports up to HDMI 2.1 if I recall, so HDMI 1.4 from the motherboard would be totally unnecessary

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Qaeo said:

should I change any of my parts then?

1 minute ago, progamer21 said:

its a 3070

You could get a b550m mortar, it is much better

its a 3070

Reading now that the MONITOR is HDMI 1.4, you’re bottlenecking the graphics card’s HDMI 2.1(letter). The power you’re missing isn’t substantial, but it’ll work just fine

1 minute ago, Ankh Tech said:

You could get a b550m mortar, it is much better

how miuch does it cost because I am trying to keep it at 130

2 minutes ago, progamer21 said:

should I change any of my parts then?

You could get a much less expensive SSD

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/G9XYcf/crucial-p2-500-gb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-ct500p2ssd8

Primary PC:

Ok found this mortar mobo looks promising and I changed my ssd thanks fasa the ram is 4400 MHZ is that compatable with my ram??? my ram is 3600 mhz btw

Screenshot 2020-11-14 at 8.14.19 AM.png

Ok found this mortar mobo looks promising and I changed my ssd thanks fasa the ram is 4400 MHZ is that compatable with my ram???

4400MHz support just means if you have faster ram, you can run it. The motherboard supports up to that speed, officially

The price you're getting on that B550 prime is actually not bad, and while the mortar is better, the price increase might not be worth it to you. I think saving money is still a good call (and having wifi can be very helpful)

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

4400MHz support just means if you have faster ram, you can run it. The motherboard supports up to that speed, officially

The price you're getting on that B550 prime is actually not bad, and while the mortar is better, the price increase might not be worth it to you. I think saving money is still a good call (and having wifi can be very helpful)

I think I am going to stick with the mortar but i dont know how to use Ethernet and my router is across my house 

Ok found this mortar mobo looks promising and I changed my ssd thanks fasa the ram is 4400 MHZ is that compatable with my ram??? my ram is 3600 mhz btw

The PCIE 4.0 is perfect for your graphics card, if you don’t already have your monitor, I’d recommend reallocating some money into that considering the huge performance boost you’ll get out of a newer HDMI port. I’d consider changing the case to some a little more budget aimed with accommodation for RGB and more fans later on.

1 minute ago, Qaeo said:

The PCIE 4.0 is perfect for your graphics card, if you don’t already have your monitor, I’d recommend reallocating some money into that considering the huge performance boost you’ll get out of a newer HDMI port. I’d consider changing the case to some a little more budget aimed with accommodation for RGB and more fans later on.

so should I get a different monitor

4 minutes ago, progamer21 said:

That one doesn't have wifi, here is the one with wifi:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089CLTLDN?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1