Bottleneck and understanding IPC

Danielnr

Budget (including currency): £1300 GBP

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Image editing, video, web dev, compiling and gaming. Also recording games for YouTube

Other details:

I am looking to build a new machine.

I already have a slow NAS for my current mac timemachine with 2x3tb wd red drives in it, which I will probably use the drives from. I want to sell my 2017 MBP for a decent PC system. Already have a BenQ 2k monitor. I would like some fast main storage probably 1tb.

I would like to play most games at 2k if possible, with a respectable frame rate - I am not chasing 240fps..

I would prefer it before Christmas, and prepared to wait if needed, but not if the new GPUs and CPUS have stock issues for months and months.

My main question is related to CPU and GPU - I'm currently looking at a 3700x because I would like the multi-threaded performance, it is a work machine first, game machine second. But I also would like it to play any game without me thinking about it. Im not too fussed about highest highest settings, as long as they look good. I am aware of the 5600x being better in single threaded and games, but also slightly behind in multi-threaded applications. With the IPC being better on the 5600x, would this be noticeable in every day use - opening programs etc? Also looking at a bottleneck calculator, most of the 'bottlenecks' are GPU based at 2k, so would it make a vast difference to performance if the CPU isn't the bottleneck anyway (if I went with a 3700x for instance)?

I am trying to get best value for money, not necessarily latest and greatest... With that said, the new GPUs look very strong for their value. Would I be stupid to purchase a current gen 2060 Super for example, or a 5700x at the prices they are currently?

What would people recommend here? I am leaning towards a 3700x and a 5700x/2060super, but I am always swayed by benchmarks even if the system already does more than I can throw at it.

Any advice welcome, thank you

Dan

this is what i'd go for, i know it's a bit over budget. maybe when the 6800 will be released, it will be slightly cheaper than the 3070.

the difference between the 3700x and the 5600x with your use case is minimal. the 5600x has an edge in games, but quite small at 2k, while the 3700x has the edge in some of the multithreaded applications like video encoding.

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

this is what i'd go for, i know it's a bit over budget. maybe when the 6800 will be released, it will be slightly cheaper than the 3070.

the difference between the 3700x and the 5600x with your use case is minimal. the 5600x has an edge in games, but quite small at 2k, while the 3700x has the edge in some of the multithreaded applications like video encoding.

Hi Boggy77,

Thank you for this breakdown. You've picked in the middle ground with what I was thinking which is perfect! I will wait until Black Friday I think incase anything goes on sale. Your CPU answer is exactly what I was pondering tbh. 

Out of interest what is the difference between B450 and B550 boards with this CPU?

Thanks

33 minutes ago, Danielnr said:

Hi Boggy77,

Thank you for this breakdown. You've picked in the middle ground with what I was thinking which is perfect! I will wait until Black Friday I think incase anything goes on sale. Your CPU answer is exactly what I was pondering tbh. 

Out of interest what is the difference between B450 and B550 boards with this CPU?

Thanks

b550 boards generally have better vrms, offer a more straightforwards upgrade path to the 5000 series and have pcie gen 4, as it seems gpus and ssds are starting to take advantage of the increased bandwidth.

7 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

b550 boards generally have better vrms, offer a more straightforwards upgrade path to the 5000 series and have pcie gen 4, as it seems gpus and ssds are starting to take advantage of the increased bandwidth.

Ah I see, I will stick with that then! Nows to waiting for a gfx card to come out. Fingers crossed the AMD 6000 series have stock - or a 3070 does too.

Do you think the 2080ti will ever come down to 3070 price? Also I really like a straight case, without RGB, glass panels etc :) - Any knowledge on how the airflow performs with The Fractal Meshify C? https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/black-fractal-design-meshify-c-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352085

Thanks again

26 minutes ago, Danielnr said:

Do you think the 2080ti will ever come down to 3070 price?

probably not, since it's not produced anymore, so supply/demand isn't changing

27 minutes ago, Danielnr said:

Any knowledge on how the airflow performs with The Fractal Meshify C?

it's excellent if you populate it with case fans

2 hours ago, boggy77 said:

probably not, since it's not produced anymore, so supply/demand isn't changing

it's excellent if you populate it with case fans

Thanks for all your help! I will await they next gen of gfx cards and hop to it.