Problems during bios update

Haak

I am setting up my new pc and was running a bios update on my x570 tomahawk to version 1.4 

My pc restarted, but now its not connecting to the monitor or anything else. The computer is still running ( have been for 10 min).

I dont want to force a shutdown as it could kill the mobo if the update is in a critical stage, but i cant know as i have no way of checking because nothing else is working.

Also am not getting any error leds from the mobo. 

Il let it run for now,  hoping you come though with some good ideas for a novice builder. 

Let it run for around 30 mins, if more than that it might have bricked your motherboard. After 1 hour, it should be 100% bricked. If you can, RMA it / send it back and get a replacement.

Update:

How long to i let in run for before i force a shutdown? 20 min and counting atm

1 minute ago, Rooked said:

Let it run for around 30 mins, if more than that it might have bricked your motherboard. After 1 hour, it should be 100% bricked. If you can, RMA it / send it back and get a replacement.

Ok, thanks

If I'm not mistaken, the Tomahawk has a BIOS Flash button on the rear. You should be able to recover a bricked UEFI with it, assuming you have access to download and deploy the update file on a different computer.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

2 minutes ago, Semper said:

If I'm not mistake, the Tomahawk has a BIOS Flash button on the rear. You should be able to recover a bricked UEFI with it, assuming you have access to download and deploy the update file on a different computer.

Yes it does have a bios flash button, ill keep this i mind. 

However if its the case that the the update went though and the problem is that it is struggling to detect the peripherals. Is there anything i can do to help it along to make it detect them besides a clean reinstall?

4 minutes ago, Haak said:

However if its the case that the the update went though and the problem is that it is struggling to detect the peripherals. Is there anything i can do to help it along to make it detect them besides a clean reinstall?

Try replugging the cables.

1 minute ago, Rooked said:

Try replugging the cables.

30 min has passed now. So i guess i can force a shutdown and unplug everything at this point?

Just now, Haak said:

30 min has passed now. So i guess i can force a shutdown and unplug everything at this point?

Have you tried replugging all the cables? Also try flashing the motherboard as stated above.

Just now, Rooked said:

Have you tried replugging all the cables? Also try flashing the motherboard as stated above.

Yes, everything but the powercable

3 minutes ago, Haak said:

Yes, everything but the powercable

Okay, then try flashing the motherboard.

15 minutes ago, Haak said:

I had the same after a bios update on my MSI board. After the update completed i just got a black screen.

I downloaded the bios again and used the bios flash button.

After that everything was fine

5 minutes ago, valwar said:

I had the same after a bios update on my MSI board. After the update completed i just got a black screen.

I downloaded the bios again and used the bios flash button.

After that everything was fine

Bios flash it is then, nothing else is working.

im looking into flashing the bios from a USB to fix the problem. Most of the tutorials are for updates for zen 3 for instance when you dont have any components installed. 

I have a full computer, do i need to take everything apart to flash the bios on my x570 tomahawk or can i leave the components in?

2 hours ago, Haak said:

im looking into flashing the bios from a USB to fix the problem. Most of the tutorials are for updates for zen 3 for instance when you dont have any components installed. 

I have a full computer, do i need to take everything apart to flash the bios on my x570 tomahawk or can i leave the components in?

no need to take anything apart.

just flash it as it is

1 hour ago, valwar said:

no need to take anything apart.

just flash it as it is

After a long while i managed to get the usb flash process going. However it seems like the system is running into the same bios problems i had when i tried to update it in the first place (it does not stop). 

The bios flash should take a few min, but now i am at 15 min + and there is no sign of stopping. 

The light at the flash back button blinked for a while, but now its constantly on with no blinking. Does anyone know how to interpret the flash button LED? 

7 hours ago, Haak said:

After a long while i managed to get the usb flash process going. However it seems like the system is running into the same bios problems i had when i tried to update it in the first place (it does not stop). 

The bios flash should take a few min, but now i am at 15 min + and there is no sign of stopping. 

The light at the flash back button blinked for a while, but now its constantly on with no blinking. Does anyone know how to interpret the flash button LED? 

Page 44/45 explain what's going on with the flash button.

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C84v1.1.pdf

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

13 hours ago, Semper said:

Page 44/45 explain what's going on with the flash button.

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C84v1.1.pdf

Thank you. I managed to make it work after i tried an old and small usb. Tok 45 min before the bios flash was finished, so that was wierd, but its up and running now. Thank you all for your help!