AIO for Threadripper 3970x

LED_Guy

I want to put a Threadripper 3970X into a mid tower case.  I want a nice clean look so I want to use an AIO.

This is going into an In Win S Box.  I can install a 360mm, 280mm or a 240mm AIO.  I’m much more concerned about performance (cooling capacity and low noise) than price.  Any suggestions?

13 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

The Long Boi.

Not really - but had to bring it somewhere :)

I could actually use a 3990X, but Windows 10 Pro doesn’t handle more than 64 threads.  Running W10 Pro workstation would limit regular (i.e. MS Office) software.  My work is very CPU intensive.  The fact that I work at home and can use the system for gaming if I wish is a fringe benefit.

19 minutes ago, LED_Guy said:

I could actually use a 3990X, but Windows 10 Pro doesn’t handle more than 64 threads.  Running W10 Pro workstation would limit regular (i.e. MS Office) software.  My work is very CPU intensive.  The fact that I work at home and can use the system for gaming if I wish is a fringe benefit.

Windows 10 Pro can support 128 threads.

W10 Home only supports up to 64 threads.

Though, if 10 Pro messes up other things, stick with Home and spend less money.

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Windows 10 Pro can support 128 threads.

W10 Home only supports up to 64 threads.

Though, if 10 Pro messes up other things, stick with Home and spend less money.

Technically Windows 10 Pro supports 128 threads, but it assumes two CPUs (64 threads each).  New threads are assigned to the CPU with lower utilization.  This means that a program can end up running on threads split between each virtual CPU.  The way Windows 10 Pro does this means that a 3990X would give about 15% better performance than a 3970X (https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/hpc/Threadripper-3990x-vs-3970x-Performance-and-Scaling-HPL-Numpy-NAMD-plus-GPUs-1692/).

I can honestly afford a 3990X, but I’m not paying $2000 for that kind of performance boost.  Doing that would require me to disable hyper threading so it would be 64 cores (1 thread/core) vs 32 cores (2 threads/core) but at a higher clock speed.  I need real world performance.