MSI B450 Mortar Max - stock settings please!

Hello, I don't care one bit about overclocking. Is that an issue in today's market? The reason I ask:

Components:

1X MSI B450 Mortar Max https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-MORTAR-MAX/

1x AMD Ryzen 2600X  https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-2600x

2X Kingston KVR32N22D8/16  (32GB total) https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR32N22D8_16.pdf

This board has overvolted my sticks automatically well beyond 1.3V (and god knows what it is doing to the CPU).

* I have not enabled any overclocking settings that I know of.

* I have even reset to Optimised Defaults. It still automatically does it when I 'DEL' to get in there again.

I am confused. Needless to say, I don't want it. There are no heatsinks on the RAM. That's how conservative I am. I am fine with boring, slow JEDEC standards & don't care for XMP profiles. I want stability and I don't want to torture my components, nor generate excess heat or use excess power. Can this thing just do the SPD from these sticks and be done with it?

Question

=====

Is it possible for this board to run my components at stock settings with zero overlcocking and zero overvolting (permanently)?

=====

* I bought the board because I was told it had decent VRMs.

* I bought the Kingston sticks because they were standard boring & slow JEDEC sticks with no XMP profiles, which is exactly what I want.

How is it possible to run the slowest, most stable & boring rig with this board? I'd appreciate a run-down of the items in the BIOS I should be looking at. My goal is all-stock settings. I have never come across any board that makes it this difficult.

SIDENOTE: I can't believe the RESET / POWER SWITCH / POWER LED etc. jumpers are not labelled on this board. I have other traumas, but I'll stop here. Appreciate the help!

If VRMs was the only reason to buy a board....

You can disable all the auto OC stuff. PbO. Xfr CPB .... ect. That should stop the boosting.

Or manually set the max pstate multi by 1/4 higher should also stop the boosting.

Other than that, Not familiar with the MSI issues. Probably need someone that suggested the board and has one to help with that other stuff.

Thanks ShrimpBrine.

My main motivation for this board (in the VRM department) was the off-chance that I can run a more power-hungry CPU in the future OK that I would buy second-hand. Maybe an 8-core of some type in the not-too-distant. Aside from VRM differences, boards in similar price brackets are otherwise featured pretty similarly most of the time, so the VRM was my most important feature. I just wasn't prepared for some of the shortcomings.

* I can't believe that I have to adjust settings to get stock.

* There is also no option in the BIOS to disable the annoying red lights (which are enabled by default). Instead they want you to downlod some Windows crapware to do it. I cannot believe the stupidity of this.

* important jumpers are totally unlabelled! I guess they ran out of ink, because they used it all on their dragon logo.

Anyway,  I have disabled Precision Boost Overclock and done something else that you mentioned. Thanks. The machine has passed memtest86 overnight but I still have some uneasy feelings about it. The 'not-being-totally-sure' about this board.

I manually adjusted my JEDEC-compliant boring slow ram to 1.20V. Still shocked I had to do this.

My last mainboard (in prehistoric times) had colour-coded connectors (versus black-on-black), well-labelled jumpers (versus unlabelled), read SPD properly, etc. I can't believe how much of a hassle this has been.

Anyway, thank you.

3 hours ago, unsorted said:

Thanks ShrimpBrine.

My main motivation for this board (in the VRM department) was the off-chance that I can run a more power-hungry CPU in the future OK that I would buy second-hand. Maybe an 8-core of some type in the not-too-distant. Aside from VRM differences, boards in similar price brackets are otherwise featured pretty similarly most of the time, so the VRM was my most important feature. I just wasn't prepared for some of the shortcomings.

* I can't believe that I have to adjust settings to get stock.

* There is also no option in the BIOS to disable the annoying red lights (which are enabled by default). Instead they want you to downlod some Windows crapware to do it. I cannot believe the stupidity of this.

* important jumpers are totally unlabelled! I guess they ran out of ink, because they used it all on their dragon logo.

Anyway,  I have disabled Precision Boost Overclock and done something else that you mentioned. Thanks. The machine has passed memtest86 overnight but I still have some uneasy feelings about it. The 'not-being-totally-sure' about this board.

I manually adjusted my JEDEC-compliant boring slow ram to 1.20V. Still shocked I had to do this.

My last mainboard (in prehistoric times) had colour-coded connectors (versus black-on-black), well-labelled jumpers (versus unlabelled), read SPD properly, etc. I can't believe how much of a hassle this has been.

Anyway, thank you.

Well it's strange because the most bottom end boards support a 3950X. Granted power limited for OC, but itll still run its defaults even on a 4+1.

Yeah, sorry for your troubles with the MSI board. My brother and I stopped buying into them around AM2+ having returned 1 board 3 times and killed a couple more. Usually we stick with Asus. I have 2 AM4 boards that went under sub zero temps. Both boards after some playing around are now in daily rigs doing just fine. 

19 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well it's strange because the most bottom end boards support a 3950X. Granted power limited for OC, but itll still run its defaults even on a 4+1.

I know they do, but I don't want hot temperatures. Heat has always been a death accelerator, in my opinion. I like to keep a bit of extra headroom so the hardware is not tortured. I wish I knew more about VRMs to assess models myself. I am told lots of them are rubbish, from all the brands. I guess they just want the basic systems to run fine while making maximum profit on each board.

I actually spent days searching for a suitable board with a strong emphasis on decent VRMs (for the price) which makes me all the more sorry that I had to encounter all the MSI rubbish:

* RGB that can only be turned off in a Windows app (and turns back on again without it loaded)

* didn't seem to use suitable SPD settings for those that want a machine that just runs out-of-the-box

* unlabelled Front Panel Connector jumpers in the year 2020. Oh my g...

* a BIOS that makes me cringe with huge real-estate being devoted to: 'ARSENAL GAMING Conquer The Battlefield'. I have never seen such a cringeworthy BIOS in all my life.

Hah. Anyway...that's all the ranting I am prepared to dish out for now. Thanks again.