Gaming PC for Brother-In-Law Budget is $800

imreloadin

Budget (including currency): $800 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

Doesn't need a monitor as he's using a 1080p TV currently, just wants to get his base system down that he can upgrade from over time. Has a mouse and Keyboard already.

Here is what I was able to come up with, just wanted to see what you guys thought and what your opinions were.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($74.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Silicon Power Silm S55 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($23.07 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB GAMING MX Video Card  ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case  ($41.31 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $809.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-01 20:58 EST-0500

This is my pc part picker list for a semi build. the idea is to spend as much as you can right now but leave as much room as possible for upgrades

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cVchgt

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 UD ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($151.69 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($61.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Team GX2 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($48.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: DIYPC Zondda ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.97 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA BR 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($64.94 @ Office Depot) 
Total: $512.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-01 20:50 EST-0500

you can easily throw in a 3000 or rx6000 easy when you get the money to

19 minutes ago, Doubble said:

This is my pc part picker list for a semi build. the idea is to spend as much as you can right now but leave as much room as possible for upgrades

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cVchgt

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 UD ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($151.69 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($61.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Team GX2 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($48.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: DIYPC Zondda ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.97 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA BR 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($64.94 @ Office Depot) 
Total: $512.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-01 20:50 EST-0500

you can easily throw in a 3000 or rx6000 easy when you get the money to

This isn't that good of a build. If you want an APU system get a 3200G, the 3400G doesn't over enough extra performance to justify the price and if you have $800 to spend you can get a video card. And an X570 board is overkill, it would be better to get a b550 board with better features and still have the same performance. That storage is pretty meh for an SSD, it has no DRAM cache and a NVMe drive isn't that much more expensive for better performance. And you cannot put a RTX 3000 or RX 6000 GPU into it, that powersupply doesn't have enough wattage, you'd need a 650W+ PSU to power a 3000 or 6000 card. And if you put one of those cards in it'll pretty heavily bottlenecked by the 3400G.

Just now, Coolmaster said:

This isn't that good of a build. If you want an APU system get a 3200G, the 3400G doesn't over enough extra performance to justify the price and if you have $800 to spend you can get a video card. And an X570 board is overkill, it would be better to get a b550 board with better features and still have the same performance. That storage is pretty meh for an SSD, it has no DRAM cache and a NVMe drive isn't that much more expensive for better performance. And you cannot put a RTX 3000 or RX 6000 GPU into it, that powersupply doesn't have enough wattage, you'd need a 650W+ PSU to power a 3000 or 6000 card. And if you put one of those cards in it'll pretty heavily bottlenecked by the 3400G.

ok a good video card cost more than 300 bucks. an X570 is for upgradiblity. the idea is to later upgrade to 5900. the storage is meant to be upgraded. and technically you can put a next gen card it it will just come close to maxing out the psu decreasing efficacy 

6 minutes ago, Doubble said:

ok a good video card cost more than 300 bucks. an X570 is for upgradiblity. the idea is to later upgrade to 5900. the storage is meant to be upgraded. and technically you can put a next gen card it it will just come close to maxing out the psu decreasing efficacy 

For his budget you can get a 1660 Super or 5600XT like he has in his list. A B550 board can also use 5000 series CPUs, and getting a crappy X570 board is worse than a pretty good B550 board and I wouldn't run a 5900 in that board unless you like power throttling and crashing. Even if the storage can be upgraded better storage only costs a couple more bucks and would be better than the one you chose. And there's no way that a crappy 500W PSU will be able to power a 300W+ GPU with the rest of the system.

1 minute ago, Coolmaster said:

For his budget you can get a 1660 Super or 5600XT like he has in his list. A B550 board can also use 5000 series CPUs, and getting a crappy X570 board is worse than a pretty good B550 board and I wouldn't run a 5900 in that board unless you like power throttling and crashing. Even if the storage can be upgraded better storage only costs a couple more bucks and would be better than the one you chose. And there's no way that a crappy 500W PSU will be able to power a 300W+ GPU with the rest of the system.

well according to pc partpicker the total system uses 160w 

Solid part choices except the SSD. Make sure the SSD you choose for your OS drive has a DRAM cache or it will be remarkable unresponsive at times. Let's see if we can fit it in there.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Doubble said:

well according to pc partpicker the total system uses 160w 

Yes, but that doesn't include the power while turboing. When CPUs or GPUs turbo they use more than their rated TDP. And you want more than a 40W power surplus when running a system, especially for a crappy PSU like the one you chose.

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Solid part choices except the SSD. Make sure the SSD you choose for your OS drive has a DRAM cache or it will be remarkable unresponsive at times. Let's see if we can fit it in there.

That's kind of why I was just like to hell with it and give him a hard drive. I figured he could do with a normal hard drive now to keep costs down a little bit and buy an ssd later.

Yes, but that doesn't include the power while turboing. When CPUs or GPUs turbo they use more than their rated TDP. And you want more than a 40W power surplus when running a system, especially for a crappy PSU like the one you chose.

the list i made had a target of $500 not $800. feel free to upgrade anything

Just now, imreloadin said:

That's kind of why I was just like to hell with it and give him a hard drive. I figured he could do with a normal hard drive now to keep costs down a little bit and buy an ssd later.

I think the opposite approach is better here. Buy a 500GB Crucial P1 now, and a couple months down the line when he's running out of space, buy a hard drive and use it for mass storage.

This secures the best performance from day 1 and doesn't force him to reinstall Windows into the new SSD if you were to buy it later.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

I think the opposite approach is better here. Buy a 500GB Crucial P1 now, and a couple months down the line when he's running out of space, buy a hard drive and use it for mass storage.

This secures the best performance from day 1 and doesn't force him to reinstall Windows into the new SSD if you were to buy it later.

That makes sense, this is why I come to the forums still lol

That makes sense, this is why I come to the forums still lol

For sure, I know you've been around and are generally savvy, but having many ideas available can help you make a good decision :D

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

For sure, I know you've been around and are generally savvy, but having many ideas available can help you make a good decision :D

Doesn't help that I have a killer head cold right now either😅

Doesn't help that I have a killer head cold right now either😅

Oof, get better soon hehe. Hope your BIL enjoys the PC!

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Doubble said:

the list i made had a target of $500 not $800. feel free to upgrade anything

You can make a better system for $500

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($118.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory  ($51.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: ADATA Swordfish 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($37.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB GAMING Twin Fan Video Card  ($169.99 @ B&H) 
Case: DIYPC MA08 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA BR 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $533.92

This one has a faster processor, still a B550 board so you can easily upgrade to a 5k series. A faster SSD. And way way faster GPU.

You can make a better system for $500

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($118.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory  ($51.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: ADATA Swordfish 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($37.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB GAMING Twin Fan Video Card  ($169.99 @ B&H) 
Case: DIYPC MA08 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA BR 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $533.92

This one has a faster processor, still a B550 board so you can easily upgrade to a 5k series. A faster SSD. And way way faster GPU.

ya but can I add performance to it without removing anything

1 minute ago, Doubble said:

ya but can I add performance to it without removing anything

What's the big deal with removing something. You can just get a better part and sell the old part for some extra money.

What's the big deal with removing something. You can just get a better part and sell the old part for some extra money.

yes but when you use a part it loses its value

4 minutes ago, Doubble said:

yes but when you use a part it loses its value

Yeah but say you're upgrading to a 1660 Super that costs $300. If you aren't replacing anything it just costs $300. If you're selling your old GPU you spend the $300 on it but can sell your old one for some thing which is better than the nothing you'd get by not replacing.

Yeah but say you're upgrading to a 1660 Super that costs $300. If you aren't replacing anything it just costs $300. If you're selling your old GPU you spend the $300 on it but can sell your old one for some thing which is better than the nothing you'd get by not replacing.

yes but the idea is of the system is to not have a video card for a path of upgrade. most people who buy budget builds plan on having their pc for years and not worrying about it till they can't play games at a decent resolution. they don't want to swap every 2 years.