Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NZXT H1 case seems an easy case for a first build and comes with a cooling system and PSU but it is pricey at £300. I was wondering if there was a similar semi-buit case out there that's slightly cheaper.

Thank you, 

Raji

You can literally get a case, a PSU and a cooler for much less and build it yourself, you're not assembling an onboard nav computer for the flying carrot that's going to Mars, it's just a PC, even I can do it and trust me I can be really dumb sometimes.

Just don't think "oh this is gonna break", if you don't know something read the manuals, you know, those booklets nobody cares about? they contain useful info and even drawings.

12 hours ago, Caroline said:

You can literally get a case, a PSU and a cooler for much less and build it yourself, you're not assembling an onboard nav computer for the flying carrot that's going to Mars, it's just a PC, even I can do it and trust me I can be really dumb sometimes.

Just don't think "oh this is gonna break", if you don't know something read the manuals, you know, those booklets nobody cares about? they contain useful info and even drawings.

Thanks Caroline. It's just a tad daunting embarking on a build with relatively expensive parts and being a novice but yeah that case is so expensive but cable management seemed so sweet 

If your looking for a SFF(Small Form Factor) case then the NZXT H1 is  agreat buy - I have one.

but if your not bothered about size then it will be cheaper to build using mid ATX cases

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling NZXT AIO | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

3 hours ago, Raji96 said:

Thanks Caroline. It's just a tad daunting embarking on a build with relatively expensive parts and being a novice but yeah that case is so expensive but cable management seemed so sweet 

A tip? You want your computer to have airflow and positive pressure, with more fresh air intakes than hot air exhausts. The thing is, most NZXT cases don't have any active intakes (fans) so the pressure is negative, you only have usually one exhaust fan and no intakes, or nothing at all, so it gets really hot inside and the CPU/graphics card fans will try to suck fresh air from anywhere, an opening on the side or a small vent on the front, this makes them run faster and suck dust, a lot of dust.

Sure those cases sometimes look 'good' depending on your tastes but all that glitters isn't gold.

Tempered glass is something you should try to avoid as well, it traps heat and if you're using high performance parts it'll slowly rise your temps, not by a lot, 2-3 ºC I'd say, it's the same kind of glass used for oven doors. The same goes for plastics, a case with lots of plastics will get hotter on the inside because it's a thermal insulator.

Metal can quicky dissipate any heat, the case will get hot on the outside but remain fresh on the inside.

A case too small (SFF/slim) or too big (full tower) will always be more expensive than a regular mATX one.-

This may sound dumb but believe in yourself it's really hard to break parts by pure accident, except for the CPU pins of course, but you'll notice the CPU has a yellow/white triangle on one of its corners, the same triangle can be found on the socket, just match both and the CPU will fit perfectly, the rest is pretty much lego building, paste, secure the heatsink, etc. Not that hard, there are hundreds of videos covering how to build a PC, just make sure you don't watch the one from The Verge or CNN, those are pretty shitty.

For what you are getting it really isn’t expensive.   Keep in mind these are small quality parts.   Gold rated PSU, 140MM AIO cooler and a great case.   

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

It is a very nice looking case! 

I showed it to my daughter for her graduation PC build, and she really liked the look of it. 

Granted, I plan to get the mesh sided one to keep it cooler. 

But back to your other issue of this being your first build. 

Instead of buying a really great SFF case, head to your local thrift store or if you can an e-cycler. 

See if they will give you a desktop that you can take apart and put back together a couple of times. 

This way, you have an idea on how some parts are tougher than you think and which ones are delicate. 

If you get it to run, great, play around with it. 

THEN, spend your money and follow along with How to Build your PC videos. 

If you haven't watch Scrapyard Wars, then I recommend that, to see the fact that you can build something pretty nice, for fairly cheap. 

But just think of it in reverse. This way you can get familiar with the internal components of a PC. 

Before you spend a good portion of money on the final system you want. 

OK enough of my rambling.....