GPU dead fan

castehard
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
1 minute ago, castehard said:

Hi, I just noticed my r9 280x vapor-x OC is going hot lately. I check the card and... one fan is not spinning. Temperatures are 60C°ish or 80C°ish depending on the game (while being little noisy). I tried reconnecting the pins but with no success.

What should I do next? Search for replacement fans or attach fans with zip ties like Linus did in one of his videos?

I don't want to buy new gpu yet.

Thanks in advance

Those fans are pretty expensive for what the card is worth (around 30$ for the fans for a card that sells for around 70$). So I'd say get the best fitting fans on your cooler (I assume they'll be 92mm measure without the shroud the better fitting they are the better they cool) and ziptie them on. Some arctic P9's will do really well if they are the correct fit again measure first it's better to have fans that are a little too small than once that are too big as you'll loose a lot of pressure and cooling performance with too large ones.

Hi, I just noticed my r9 280x vapor-x OC is going hot lately. I check the card and... one fan is not spinning. Temperatures are 60C°ish or 80C°ish depending on the game (while being little noisy). I tried reconnecting the pins but with no success.

What should I do next? Search for replacement fans or attach fans with zip ties like Linus did in one of his videos?

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance

Those fans are pretty expensive for what the card is worth (around 30$ for the fans for a card that sells for around 70$). So I'd say get the best fitting fans on your cooler (I assume they'll be 92mm measure without the shroud the better fitting they are the better they cool) and ziptie them on. Some arctic P9's will do really well if they are the correct fit again measure first it's better to have fans that are a little too small than once that are too big as you'll loose a lot of pressure and cooling performance with too large ones.

attach fans with zip ties like Linus did in one of his videos?

yes

I think it's actually pretty hard to find a replacement fan

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

4 minutes ago, Krishdude said:

Well, they are not cheap (at least for me)

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What about powering them? The connector on the gpu will work?

What about powering them? The connector on the gpu will work?

Of course not. You just connect them to the motherboard and set them to a set fan speed. It needs some testing but as a start put them at 60% power and go from there. My modded r9 290x from sapphire runs with 3 of them at about 40% and sure it runs around 72c the whole time but it's dead silent.

58 minutes ago, jaslion said:

set them to a set fan speed

In BIOS right?

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Well, I just find out after some testing. The thing is the dead fan is spinning when I set up 80% speed in msi afterburner. When lower than 80% it isn't spinning

Just now, castehard said:

Well, I just find out after some testing. The thing is the dead fan is spinning when I set up 80% speed in msi afterburner. When lower than 80% it isn't spinning

Problematic. Means it's on it's very last legs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 11:29 AM, jaslion said:

92mm measure without the shroud the better fitting they are the better they cool

Hi, me again. The fans are 92mm and the heatsink is 80ish. I should 92mm ones?

4 hours ago, castehard said:

Hi, me again. The fans are 92mm and the heatsink is 80ish. I should 92mm ones?

It's better to get a little smaller than the heatsink then too big. So get the 80mm ones. Try to make the fans fit as well as possible. If you need 3 it's better to have 2 be full on it and one a little then 2 on it with a small gap not and 1 fully for pressure reasons which matter a lot.