Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which combo is better for programming/game dev?

So I'm looking for a $350-ish dollar CPU and GPU combo, mostly for game dev and programming. The most demanding game that I do will probably be Rocket League at 1080p. Game engines I will be using are Roblox Studio, and later LOVE2D. For just doing programs, I use Sublime Text and the Command Prompt on Win 10. There are two combos that I have in mind, one is:

Ryzen 5 5600x($300)

GTX 650 Ti ($40) link: (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-EVGA-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-650-Ti-1GB-GDDR5/164342145425?epid=129494311&hash=item26438e2191%3Ag%3A6ooAAOSwKfVfOvHb&LH_BIN=1)

And the other is:

Ryzen 3 3300x($120)

TUF GTX 1660($215)

I'm leaning towards the 5600x, because nothing that I do on the computer will need more than a 650 Ti, and a better CPU means better compile times and better run times. But if the 3300x or anything else within my budget is better, tell me.

3 minutes ago, CarzyBear said:

I'm leaning towards the 5600x, because nothing that I do on the computer will need more than a 650 Ti

I think this is what you should go with. However, don't expect very good performance from the 650ti. You may be able to scrape 60fps at 1080p on rocket league, so maybe go with a bit of a better GPU if you can go over budget by a bit.

Just now, tishous said:

I think this is what you should go with. However, don't expect very good performance from the 650ti. You may be able to scrape 60fps at 1080p on rocket league, so maybe go with a bit of a better GPU if you can go over budget by a bit.

60fps is definitely enough for me. So yeah, I'm gonna go for the 5600x.