Disk Cloning Question

Jonj91

Hello,

I've never made a clone of a drive before and I'm a bit confused. I'm sure the answer is simple, but I'm not sure what to do. I have two m.2 drives, one is a 970 Evo Plus (1TB) and the other is a Sabrent Rocket (2TB). Long story short, my 970 Evo sits right above my GPU and gets too hot in my mini ITX build (constant 70-75c while gaming). I want to use my Sabrent that is mounted on the back of my motherboard instead because thermals are much better. This is my reason for wanting to clone my 970 Evo. I downloaded software called Macrium Reflect and it seems to have made a clone of my 970 Evo on my Sabrent drive. I set my Sabrent drive as my boot drive and it starts up with no problems; however, my Sabrent was cloned in such a way that part of the drive is not showing. Whenever I go to Disk Management, it allows me to take that unallocated amount of disk space and create a new volume, but I don't want to make a new volume, I want it to be a part of the entire (C:) drive. I've attached a picture below of what I'm talking about. How do I do this?

Disk Partition.jpg

I could be wrong, but to me it looks like that 516MB partition is in the way, and that would prevent you from extending the volume to fill the unallocated space. Things like that are why I always recommend a fresh install of Windows when switching drives. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

7 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:

I could be wrong, but to me it looks like that 516MB partition is in the way, and that would prevent you from extending the volume to fill the unallocated space. Things like that are why I always recommend a fresh install of Windows when switching drives. 

I suppose the issue was trying to clone a smaller drive to a larger drive. I really wanted to avoid having to re-download Windows and all of my software etc. It's not a big deal and I don't mind having to do it, but I'm at my download limit with Xfinity and didn't want to have to wait until the 1st. The 516MB partition is a recovery partition, so if I delete that partition do you think I'd somehow be able to allocate the unallocated 976GB to my (C:) drive? How would I be able to do that without having to create a new volume?

I was able to delete the recovery partition and I turned the unallocated portion of the drive into a new volume (F:). How do I merge the (F:) and (C:) drives now? There is nothing on the (F:) partition.

Disk Partition 2.jpg

SOLVED

For those of you who happen to come across this problem yourself, this is how I fixed it. I downloaded a program called MiniTool Partition Wizard. I deleted the recovery partition that separated the 2 portions of the drive. I then right clicked the (C:) drive and pressed extend and extended the unallocated drive to become a part of the (C:) drive.

Disk Partition 3.jpg